Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16
    Kriston #14971 04/30/08 11:16 AM
    Well, it depends on what you consider swearing

incogneato #14976 04/30/08 11:39 AM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Well, it depends on what you consider swearing

Swearing? In a public school? Surely you jest! Surely, surely, that's not tolerated??? Says the mom of the kid who explained "hell"! shocked

squirt #14977 04/30/08 11:44 AM
    My brothers didn't get thru school without being violent. Heck (oops is that a swear word?), I didn't get thru with out being violent! When you're being bullied it's hard to avoid <eyeroll>.

Last edited by Cathy A; 04/30/08 11:46 AM. Reason: swear word?
    Cathy A #14979 04/30/08 11:49 AM
    S
    S
    I hadn't thought about it that way, but I guess I didn't get through without being violent either. However, I don't remember the incident most often retold by my family so maybe it doesn't count?

When I was 8, my sisters and I rode a school bus for an hour each way to school. Apparently, a big bully boy was picking on my oldest sister and I plowed into him. Bloodied his nose and face and kept beating him in the chest. Bus driver had to pull me off of him. He had to call my parents, but he told them he was really very proud of me and that the bully had it coming. He never bullied anyone else on that bus again. Odd how I remember none of it whatsoever! Wonder who else I beat up? Oops!

squirt #14981 04/30/08 12:02 PM
    Originally Posted by squirt
    I hadn't thought about it that way, but I guess I didn't get through without being violent either. However, I don't remember the incident most often retold by my family so maybe it doesn't count?

When I was 8, my sisters and I rode a school bus for an hour each way to school. Apparently, a big bully boy was picking on my oldest sister and I plowed into him. Bloodied his nose and face and kept beating him in the chest. Bus driver had to pull me off of him. He had to call my parents, but he told them he was really very proud of me and that the bully had it coming. He never bullied anyone else on that bus again. Odd how I remember none of it whatsoever! Wonder who else I beat up? Oops!

Well, we had to walk home and my younger brother was being taunted and bullied by an older boy. He started in one day and I just snapped. He tried to ride away on his bike but I ran after him, grabbed the back of his bike seat, threw him on the ground and started ripping his hair out. I was about 10, I think. He didn't bug us after that....

When I was in high school a girl in my PE class was constantly harassing me, calling me names during class. I told the teacher and he told me to "handle it" myself. So the next time she called me a f-ing c-word I punched her in the face! I was sent to the vice principal's office but I was not punished in any way.

CFK #14987 04/30/08 12:17 PM
    Originally Posted by CFK
    No girls allowed in bedrooms is the rule!

cool Good rule, Mom!

Cathy A #14992 04/30/08 12:55 PM
    Originally Posted by acs
    I am assuming that they will want to see each other while they are on vacation. Any suggestions on appropriate ways to handle this type of "play date" in pre-teen/early teen couples?

I would not assume. I would wait for DS to tell me directly. I once assumed something and was totally wrong. Wait for him to ask you (for a ride or whether she could come over etc.)

Last edited by Ania; 04/30/08 03:05 PM.
    Ania #14996 04/30/08 02:21 PM
    acs Offline
    Originally Posted by Ania
    I would not assume. I would wait for DS to tell me directly. I once assumed something and was totally wrong. Wait for him to ask you (for a ride or weather she could come over etc.)

Your are right, if he doesn't ask, I'm certainly not going to bring it up. But I wanted to have some sense of the issues so I didn't start sputtering or agreeing to something and then changing my mind later if/when he does ask.

The no girls in boy's bedrooms makes sense and is the rule I was raised with. It's weird, though, because DS has had so many female friends in his pre-adolescent life (and still does) that have been just like his male friends and have full run of the house. Now, of course, that will change. It's going to be a hard rule to make and enforce. Also, there is the issue of the rules at her house. I am planning to chat with GF's mom and compare notes and rules before any get-together.

Thanks for the help.

acs #15023 05/01/08 02:57 PM
    S
    S
    NEW - venting just because I have to! DS (6.75 - he told me he's 6 3/4 now because it is only 3 months until his birthday, why again did I teach him fractions?) brought home a book from school yesterday as an ACTUAL reading assignment that was only 2 grade levels down from his reading level instead of 3 or 4. It was a book he had read last summer <Mouse and the Motorcycle (gotta love it)>. So, he sat down yesterday afternoon and read it. I signed off on the form and sent it back to school today. Teacher sent it home and told him he wasn't supposed to read it in one night and that he shouldn't bring it back until May 9 because he should read a little bit everyday.

Yup, she's encouraging a love of reading. Man, I don't know what I'm gonna do.

Okay, vent over, please resume whatever was happening. . .

squirt #15024 05/01/08 02:59 PM
    <exasperated sigh>

Oh, squirt, don't you just wonder sometimes?

Ugh.

Kriston
    Page 6 of 16 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM