Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Okay, my DD is only 3.5, so why the hurry? Well, I like to stay ahead. I spent a year researching preschool options and am very happy with the part-time montessori inspired preschool she attends. DD is advanced in math and spelling; but hasn't started to read yet (Her teacher did mention that she is starting to read at school this week). One of my friends gave me a Kindergarten workbook and DD was able to complete it in one sitting as long as I read the instructions. She is doing 1st grade math with no training- add/subtract numbers within 10, tells time to the minute on digital and analog, etc. I am afraid that by the time she is 5,kindergarten curriculum would not fit her needs. I need advice/input from parents who have gone through this. Here are my options:
    1. Continue at current preschool (ages 3-6) and worry about formal school when she turns 6-essentially kick the can down 1 year.
    2. Start at the only accredited Montessori school in the area (K-8) when she is 5 but request she be placed in elementary (6-9 yo) instead of primary (3-6yo). This would be an expensive option.
    3. I researched and there seems to be no programs for gifted in our public school district. So I am not sure if I would be able to advocate for any enrichment within the school system. However, this is the cheapest option. I live in NY Capital region and there is not much for gifted programs here, as far as I researched.

Any advice is appreciated even if it "don't worry about this yet. Give it some time." Thank you!

My kids are in Montessori (one is in 1st, the other is 4 and in pre-k). If it's a true Montessori, then they will tailor her lessons to meet her needs. My DD4 is currently working on reading and math a year ahead of where she is and that is OK in Montessori. Given the options you have, I would leave her in Children's House/pre-school, especially if she isn't reading independently yet. They can usually accommodate up to about 2nd grade material. Even if she moved beyond that, likely they will pull things for her to do from lower elementary (if they are a good Montessori!).

The decision about formal school is hard to make until you see where she is at 5. A lot can happen in a year and a half. Does the formal Montessori start at 3 years old (most of them do). It is expensive but worth it to us. Regular public school would be a total disaster for my older child. We are looking into the full time gifted public program for him for next fall. Remember that nothing is permanent and you can change schools if warranted.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    K
    K
    We started worrying about DS5's kindergarten placement about the same time you did. However, a good piece of advice I got on this board was if you've found a current school situation that works, be happy, and don't worry too much about what happens next! (Easier said than done, I know.)

Thinking about your options...

1. You may find that by this time next year, DD has completely outgrown the school, and you'll easily be able to remove this option. Or, you may find the the teachers there really "get" her, and are willing to keep giving her something that challenges her. (Will she stay with her current teacher, like in a Montessori school? A great flexible teacher can make all the difference.)

2. Definitely an option, if you can make it work financially, but the school may not be willing. In which case options 1 or 3 would be best.

3. Talk to parents at the school. There may be options for differentiation within a regular classroom. A school, for example, can schedule math time for all of the primary grades at the same time, so you DD could move to another class during math. Any good primary teacher should be differentiating reading with guided reading groups.

As for our decision, we've decided to keep DS at his current Montessori school (that goes through the kindergarten year)...and in a sense "kick the can" until first grade. (At that point we'll have to decide public school vs. a Montessori that goes to sixth grade.)

Z
    Z
    Some school system allow for early entry kindergarten for kids with advanced skills. Now would be the time to be researching that if it is a possibility in your area, here's the qualification in our district:
    "Children who will reach their fourth birthday by April 16 may enter kindergarten if they demonstrate an extraordinary level of academic ability and maturity."

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks,bronalex. Knowing my child, I think public school system with teacher-led learning will not work for my kid. At least not at this point: she hates to be taught. But like you say, things might change.

Kathie_k, you completely hit the nail on its head with your response. I am guessing you have been mulling over this decision as well. The current preschool is 10 kids and one teacher in one room in a small church. I love it for its scale and the teacher completely gets my dd. But I suspect dd will outgrow the school in a year, and the teacher has hinted as much. We can make option 2 work if we move to a lower school tax district and instead spend money on tuition. We moved to a really good school district four years ago. The taxes are horrendously high and now that I am starting to ask around, the reviews are not that good. One of my friend's friend ( who I briefly met at a bday party) has a gifted son in our public school and she had nothing good to say. It seems they just give him more of the same in an attempt to challenge him and her son has stopped doing all home work. So option 2 for us would definitely entail a move. Thanks so much for weighing in on each option for me. Truly appreciated!

Zen_Scanner, unfortunately I didn't find anything on the school's website about early entry or subject or grade acceleration. The only school in the region that seems to have some sort of gifted program doesn't test until 2nd grade for placement. NYS doesn't seem like a good state for gifted education. Sigh!

The only reason we are considering the public gifted program here is because it is a full time gifted school that you have to apply for. The kids are all gifted and the teachers are all trained in gifted ed. They do a lot of independent research/project type work instead of the teacher just talking at the kids. The applications are due on Friday so we are just starting the process. If it doesn't work out, he will stay in Montessori bc they allow him to work at least 2 grades above his age.

Mom to 2 kiddos - DS 9 with SPD and visual processing issues and DD 6 who is NT
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Wishing you the best with your son's application. Seems like a really good option for a gifted kid. Best.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations