Hi! I'm new here. I have a 4.5 year old girl who'll be starting K in a private, test-in gifted program this August, which will be about a month after we move across the country (I'm a little shy about saying exactly where we're moving). My hope is to find a good public gifted program for her with the next few years, because I would prefer not to pay for private school long term.

The alternative was to wait until we move in July to deal with enrolling her in whatever public school we could get after regular registration. That felt too uncertain to me.

She's really interested in drawing and in learning about the states (today she was singing me part of the state song of Wyoming (or, it might have been Wisconsin))--the state thing I find extremely boring, but I guess that's what I get for putting a huge map of the US on the wall.

I ended up changing the lyrics to the Florida state song (Swanee River, originally written to be a minstrel song in the voice of a former slave waxing nostalgic about his supposedly better life on a Florida plantation--off topic, but I sort of can't believe this is an official state song) before I gave them to her. I still shield her from...gosh, it seems like everything. She asks hard questions on so many tricky topics, but I don't think she's really old enough for forthright answers, not even simplified ones. I mean, she's still so little and baby-ish so much of the time--she's only 4!

I think finding books at her reading level that are also age-appropriate is going to be a challenge, moving forward. For now, it's still doable.