Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    F
    OP Offline
    F
    From today's meeting with the asst. super of learning and the director of math and science.

The director of math is very firm on beliefs that children are not ready to learn complicated math. He thinks ds has no real understanding of math. That he has memorized his math facts and can't explain how he got to that point. He kept referring back to common core. He also said that a first grader should not be working on multiplication and division... developmentally they aren't capable of learning these concepts.

Sad and very frustrated

I'm trying to explain how the square root of five works to my first grade son. Apparently our current hobby is square roots.

This is the same boy who seems to have no interest in learning how to read.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    The director of math is very firm on beliefs that children are not ready to learn complicated math. He thinks ds has no real understanding of math. That he has memorized his math facts and can't explain how he got to that point. He kept referring back to common core. He also said that a first grader should not be working on multiplication and division... developmentally they aren't capable of learning these concepts.

Pffft. (sigh)

(that was all I was going to write, but I feel compelled to add: WHAT A DORK)

Sorry you had to deal with that.

I'm very, very angry at the moment, for similar reasons. Let's just say I've had a LOVELY, LOVELY day with the "public school typicals" who can't handle my kid's 2e/ADHD. They can bite me.

(Sorry, were we talking about math? oh yeah. In first grade he could multiply and divide and manipulate negative numbers and fractions... he could have taken a number line and tied all the crazy administrators up with it)

Not capable MY A**.

Last edited by CCN; 02/21/13 06:01 PM.
    When my ds was in Gr 9 and getting A's in AP Calculus AB, I asked for a meeting of the counselor, teachers and director to decide what he should do for the remaining 3 years since the new director of the private school we were paying tuition to had announced they were going to cut the high level courses. In the meeting, the director told me I shouldn't let my ds do advanced math because the Unabomber was also a genius.

Huh???!

I just left the meeting speechless. In the end, I paid for Stanford college level online courses and asked the school to excuse him from math class so he could do his work on his own in the library.

"Normal can never be amazing." - Mini USA
    G
    G
    "7 year olds do not have sufficient metacognitition to learn math any faster than they do in this curriculum."

This came from an admin who had never met my child.

D
    D
    Yuck. I guess in one way it's nice that he made his position very clear, so you need not waste any time trying to educate him or convince him he is mistaken. (We have spent a huge amount of time and effort trying to convince people like this to change things, only to finally realize it was futile--so really, it's good to have that step out of the way here.) The question then is how you get around this person, or get what you need without any help from him. Unfortunate, but maybe if you succeed he will eventually realize the error of his ways and the next kid to come along won't have to deal with this particular problem. Good luck!

Last edited by Dbat; 02/21/13 06:41 AM. Reason: clarification
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by tazi19
    In the end, I paid for Stanford college level online courses and asked the school to excuse him from math class so he could do his work on his own in the library.

What was his experience with these courses, may I ask? My 5th grader has exhausted the EPGY curriculum that can be accessed through open enrollment (going up to Algebra I) and we are now thinking of paying for the tutored courses.

K
    K
    At a meeting introducing parents to the Investigations curriculum several years ago, the head of the district math department stated that it was dangerous to accelerate a child more than one year in math. He said that math would "fall apart" for them in college for they would lack true number sense if they didn't go through the spiraling curriculum that Investigations offered in elementary. He then went on to comment that they also would run out of things to do in high school. [Gag].

I am concerned that your principal seems to be seeing Common Core as a ceiling, rather than a floor. If your child already knows and understands the first grade content dictated by Common Core, what is the argument for making him repeat it?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Gifted coordinator to DH regarding DS's private assessment:

"IQ tests before third grade are meaningless and besides you are going to want it to drop a lot because if his IQ stays that high he'll have a really hard time in school"

OMG, KJP. What do you even do with that?! "because he'll have a hard time in school".. Well, any other possible solutions besides "dumbing down"?! <

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM