Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by cricket3
    Our two made it through public elementary without acceleration, though we do have a (quite limited) pull-out program. Overall, it was least-worst for us. My DD had 2 years which were not good, but they were interspersed with very good years, mainly teacher-dependent. Personality played a role for us; my DD Is a kid who devises self-challenges wherever she goes, and that is primarily how she got through. (She is the kind of kid who would take the lame spelling list and try to devise a coherent, concise short story using all the words, sometimes in order, etc.).

My younger son too a spelling list and tried to include brownies in each sentence he had to write (second grade words). I asked why he did that and he said because he really wanted brownies.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    D
    dmbmpls Offline OP
    OP Offline
    D
    Wow. I really appreciate everyone's replies. I think the language immersion aspect of school was relatively challenging to my daughter at first, but now she's more or less fluent, and 40% of her day is in English, so I'm guessing that's where some of the unhappiness is coming from. She's probably only one grade ahead in Spanish language arts, and that seems to be pretty well accommodated. In English language arts, she pretty much just reads books, as far as I can tell. I think it's math and science that really are the most frustrating, so perhaps we can focus on more acceleration in those subjects in particular.

She's very much a third grader in every other way, so we're not interested in grade skipping. I'm not sure it would really help anyway, as she's already working above grade level.

Thanks again for the comments.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    Scheduling...our elementary schools are huge 700-1000 kids depending on the school.

OMG! Huge is right. Wow.

(Ours is like... 320. We have 16 divisions in total, 10 of which are language immersion, 4 are Montessori, and 2 are regular English).

P
    P
    My son's class is a y1/y2 composite (5 and 6). They have 3 maths groups, 4 reading groups and several spelling groups. I think the top groups are working about a year ahead. Each teacher sets their own timetable (except swimming) and there are about 420 kids. Our teachers teach all subjects and specials themselves (including swimming but the pool use is rostered) and everyone has breaks together. There is, however no gifted programming of any kind. If I wanted him to do something with gifted peers I would have to pay for a private programme and ask the principal to excuse him for the day.

My HG child is only 5 and I have been wondering the same thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM