Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    H
    Hi CYM

My DS likes the library too, but it's more for the stackable cushions then the books yet. We do check some out so he does get that library time means different books. I would love to take him to some of the places you talked about, but getting DH to agree is hard.
    I have not even thought about getting him tested because he does get shy around some people and at this stage I'm not really wanting to scare him. My main concern is am I stimulating all of his learning potential. My stepmom gave him a recorder(flute) for Christmas, but it's too loud for him - he holds his ears when it's played by someone else and he won't play it at all.We got him Play-do and he likes that, but all he wants is for me to spell things with it. So we spelled Barney using purple. smile

I happened upon a website of a "gifted" school, right here in my home town, but it's $6,000. a semester, plus supplies. Bar winning the lottery, I don't see that happening. Anyway, that a few years away. I'm thinking home schooling may be our best option.

Hope everyone had a great holiday,
    happymother

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Happy New Year!

I really believe that it is possible to make the public schools work, even for highly gifted children. I encourage you to look at that option when the time is near. Grade skipping helped my kids, plus accelerated curriculum, and enrichment. Even if they're working more than one grade ahead, skipping one grade seemed to put them closer to where they need to be. I've been very lucky in that the administrators are very cooperative and helpful. I asked about a math competition and *poof* they enrolled. My little experience with private schools (only from preschools) is that they have less resources (computers, software, textbooks, library, etc.), don't require as high qualifications in teachers, and were constantly fundraising. I'm sure that's not true across that board, but I really think that if you help your school or your class, you can help make it great. I spend a lot of time coordinating guest speakers and field trips for my son's middle school class. There are a lot of professionals who enjoy the opportunity of teaching kids for an hour or two.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I've known some kids who've done well at private, parochial and public schools. I've knon kids who don't seem to be a good fit anywhere! I thing the early enterance is a big help, if the child is even "enough" across the skills.

Love and More Love,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    One of the public junior high administrators told our neighbor (who was new to the area and seeking advanced instruction for her daughter) that most gifted students (here) go private. This is in a very well funded school district! Approximately 70% of our property taxes go to the elementary and high school districts. That 70% well exceeds what we pay (in addition) for our children to attend a private school.

I believe that the philosophy of the school superintendents and principles of a school district make the difference in whether or not public school is the correct option for gifted students.

We also have experienced a private school in our area that charges very premium tuition for what basically equates to supervised self study.

For us, a Catholic K-8th school with flexible leadership is the best solution.

We haven�t ruled out our public high school yet which has different leadership than the elementary and junior high.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by delbows
    We also have experienced a private school in our area that charges very premium tuition for what basically equates to supervised self study.

LOL - That school sounds heavenly! Especially if they allow each child to go at their own speed. ((wink)) When it comes to schools what one family needs might be terrrible for another family. Flexability and Openness are the best. Also Decency. Even two children with identical IQs may have very different learning needs in a school setting.
    T

D
    D
    Clarification: Children were publicly recognized for how fast they could plow through repetitive (and thin) workbooks. Many kids went through several a week at a cost to parents of $20.00 a piece.
    My idea of the ideal classroom is children grouped by ability receiving instruction at the appropriate level.
    You are right that no one solution is best for every gifted child.

Grinity Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Of course I'm joking, a bit, I like your idea better, let's through in multiage as a norm, all grouped together by readiness, which is re-assesed often.

Still, for all the expense and frustration, DS10 would love the cheesy easiness of plowing through thin workbooks, as long as the challenge level was about right, and not just MOTS (More of the same.) Of course Online workbooks would be his favorite of all! Maybe they could be set up for the Nintendo DS.....

Are all these gifted kids so insecure that they need tons of reassurance, or just the Extroverted ones?

Smiles,
    Trin

C
    cym Offline
    C
    Even within the same family educational needs are different. One of my sons loves reading, one loves "doing" (art, building, etc.)--but all 4 love expounding, debating, really picking apart issues. In that ideal class we're designing, let's make sure there's lots of Socratic learning.

W
    W
    I believe it would be cheapest by far to individualize education and forget these horrible conglomerated masses of "normal" kids.

T'ain't no such thing!!!

Mite, btw, and Rite, btw2, love Socratic reasoning and discussion. They even partook in the local Socrates Cafe for awhile, before it debunked due to the facillitator having an affair with one of the participants and causing a big stink, not appropriate for young boys to think Socratically upon!!!8^P

Thus I would say include a lot of free "thinking" time and a lot of "arguing" time.

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    According to our daughter, one of the sixth grade teachers (male) encourages kids to argue for more points on a test. If they convince him, they get the extra points. If they �waste his time�, he deducts points.

I think this is characteristic of an unusually good teacher. I love this idea!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM