Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #148607 02/13/13 08:34 AM
    W
    Waits Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W

Last edited by Waits; 08/09/14 10:00 AM. Reason: deleted
    D
    D
    Which option can you comfortably afford? Which school had the best feel when you walked into it? Was there a principal you clicked with?

P
    P
    I think that no matter how much one option might appear to be better than the other in theory, the best input you're going to get on any school is from other parents whose children have attended there. Sometimes things such as teachers, willingness of the admin staff to be flexible, the type of curriculum and learning that goes on in the regular classroom (is it project-oriented, for instance) can make much more of a difference in what a school is like than the advertised gifted/acceleration/etc policies.

Although I don't have experience personally with any of these schools, I've known several children who've gone through K-12 immersion programs. I'd ask about how the Edison school works - it's been an option that's worked well for the EG kids I've known in very early elementary - but immersion is approached in different ways in different schools, so our schools wouldn't necessarily match the Edison approach. Part of what makes it (here) work well for the gifted children I'e known is that they are still allowed to participate in (meaningful, well-run) gifted pull-out programs, and the 2nd language portion is taught half-day and it's total immersion - so for kids who aren't native language speakers, it's challenging in that aspect. The programs we have seem to be staffed with great teachers too... which makes such a huge difference!

Best wishes,

polarbear

My choice for my DYS DS was for the gifted school because in a non gifted setting he had a great deal of difficulty with the other kids. At the gifted school, they are not all working at his level and he still is way above in some areas - but not in all - and his emotional needs fit in better, although not perfectly. In pre-k he had no one who understood his vocab so couldn't get his pretending - that isn't an issue in the gifted school. And as some wise individuals on this board have noted, you can't plan very far ahead with these kids - what works for this year and next might completely fall apart by 3rd or 4th. Go with what will work best for K and 1st. Also, expecting any school to fully meet the needs of someone profoundly gifted might be a little unreasonable. You need to figure out how much of what is needed is ok for you.

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM