Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 233 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #148510 02/12/13 08:34 AM
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    I know we spend a lot of time lamenting the teachers who are unable or unwilling to meet our children's needs, so I thought I would share a positive story.

DS 4 (almost 5) has been struggling in his Montessori school a bit...choosing works that are too easy, not staying focused, and then causing some trouble. The teacher has been very open to talking with us, but didn't really "get" what he needed. (He really doesn't need to use the materials to lay out numbers 1-10, again, and if he did the "4 chain" once, he probably can count by 4s as high as you want him to go.)

We just got an e-mail that she attended (on her own, and without any prompting from us) a speaker on differentiation for gifted kids sponsored by our local school districts. She said "I had to think of 'DS' the entire time, and he is basically the reason I went."

I know that this doesn't solve everything, but, for today, I think I'll focus on this bright spot!

Last edited by Kathie_K; 02/12/13 08:35 AM.
    D
    D
    Thanks for posting that--it is so nice to hear about teachers who really are trying to help 'our' kids. I also wanted to join in because I have done my share of complaining (I think quite justifiably) but literally every day I thank our lucky stars that we now have a compassionate, caring teacher who is really helping DD succeed. Also we were lucky to have two wonderful teachers several years ago who showed us the way for DD to succeed in a classroom (basically, patience for her quirks, help with social situations when she needs it, and some structured incentive program to encourage her to do her work). And all of DD's teachers have been Montessori--great and awful; it still kind of baffles me how different they have been. However, if we hadn't had the great ones, DD would be in a much worse place right now, and plus we understand what she will need going forward. Hooray for these fantastic educators--we will always be grateful.

Last edited by Dbat; 02/12/13 09:31 AM. Reason: punctuatification
    Cool!

D
    D
    Lovely to hear!

We have been lucky to have had some teachers who have been receptive to figuring out DS10. (One teacher more or less made him a research project for herself...amazing.) The result of great teachers' efforts of this kind has always been a real, productive partnership.

Thank 'em often.

DeeDee

B
    B
    This is nice.

DD has a p.e. teacher this year that's helped her throw a ball, which I've been working on for years. He broke it down and got her to see that she does 5 steps and only needs to do 2, it was really cool.

Her social studies teacher let her take her essay home to finish because DD was taking so much time to make sure her teacher could read it that she only got 1 out of 3 paragraphs finished in the alloted time.

Her art teacher "really likes DD as a person" she told me. Her other p.e. teacher said she is a "joy" and "eagerly participates". Her foreign language teacher never docks her for being a few minutes late and dropping papers everywhere, but enjoys her leaps in learning and enthusiasm.

: - )

D
    D
    High five to that teacher!

I just want to shout out to my DD's Ap Lit teacher (who DD has had for almost five years now in various classes)-- what a terrific person and truly, a gift to her MG+ students. She is fantastic. She can encourage even the most perfectionistic of them to improve their writing and analysis effectively. DD calls the "The Barracuda" because she gives no quarter on her high standards, but also communicates that those standards are high because she believes in her students.

She loves her students and she's intellectually curious and enthusiastic herself-- and it shows in her every word to her class. LOVE teachers like this-- she praised my DD this morning for her insight that Swift's infamous "Modest Proposal" was analogous to Steinbeck's indictment of the 'haves' in the Grapes of Wrath.

The teacher thought it was a fascinating parallel and had DD explain 'where that thought came from' to the rest of the class. She's fascinated by how her students think, and encourages really healthy metacognition in them.

She also loves that DD's asynchrony leads to really unconventional and unique insights and appreciation for literature-- and doesn't squelch that, but nurtures the novelty of such unusual perspective, treating it like a treasure rather than a liability.

She's AMAZING.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    I want to shout out DS's 1st grade teacher for her AMAZING support of his writing issues. He doesn't do timed math minutes, she is having him spell verbally in addition to the spelling tests so she can see that he knows it even when it doesn't always come out right when written. And best yet, she is teaching him typing, and allowing him to choose how much of his homework he wants to handwrite or type. This is above and beyond the IEP - she said he will need it eventually and this way he learns early and his issues won't impact his ability to express himself to his full capabilities - DS is so comfortable now and it is all due to her making him feel comfortable and special in the right ways!!

There are teachers out there sensitive to 2E issues!!!

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM