Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    bzylzy, the test is just turning wrong ... The strengths of DS are so deeply hidden that nobody encounters them.

I read the 5 or 6 first chapters in "the dyslexic advantage" during last summer vacations (It is well written and not very hard to read). I wish I could have go on with reading it but since then, I ran out of time for everything ... At first, this book filled me with optimism. It gives a lot of positive examples and give a scientific basis for understanding the dyslexic strengthes (a very very good point for this book). But afterwards, I was wondering on how many children failed for a successful story and nice examples it gives ... Just like in sports, many swimmers just train as hard as Phelps but there is just one Phelps... I mean, facing the hard reality of DS is just so different from books. It is just a daily struggle for the family and probably even a harder struggle for DS.

B
    B
    I know what you mean about books. I will read many of them and will get a glimmer of idea from each one. But, when you put the book down you still have a child with very unique needs. The educational system and the thinking of most people don't naturally accommodate them.

Realistically, probably thousands of children failed for every success story. But it's the educational system and people's way of rigid thinking that failed them. Research such as the Eides' is just a drop in the bucket that may contribute to a future where these children will be more understood and serviced.

The elementary years at school is extremely focused on all the things that your son and many other 2E children find the most challenging. Their first experience with education is very negative and an unfair playing field. I guess we have to keep our 2E children buoyant long enough to get them to a place where their strengths can reveal themselves.

I think it's very sympathetic for you to say it's even harder for your DS. That compassion I'm sure he'll notice and it will make it easier for him to face the world.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM