Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 177 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    It is really frustrating trying to compare the different tests. I wish we had had a follow-up WISC for our dd after she completed her first round of VT. Instead she had the WJ-III Cog a few years later and to be honest, I haven't ever tried to figure out the correlations for her. Not because it wouldn't be interesting... more so simply because I have a hard time just keeping up with getting lunches ready for school each day with all the craziness at our house smile

I can't believe your WISC report used the word "retarded" - argh! On SO many levels... dd scored lower than .5th percentile on one of her subtests that was impacted by vision... I can still remember how my stomach fell through my feet when I saw that result at the neuropsych follow-up and before we had confirmed it was related to a vision issue.

polarbear

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I can't believe your WISC report used the word "retarded" - argh! On SO many levels... dd scored lower than .5th percentile on one of her subtests that was impacted by vision... I can still remember how my stomach fell through my feet when I saw that result at the neuropsych follow-up and before we had confirmed it was related to a vision issue.

Yeah it was like a graph/chart thing showing me where his scores fell and that was the label they had on the area where his scores fell for working memory and processing... frown

Polarbear, did your DD do syntonic light therapy as a part of her vision therapy? My Ds' doctor isn't into that and doesn;t offer it but I am thinking of giving it a shot for DS if I can find someone to do it... Just wondering if you have any experience with it?

Last edited by marytheres; 02/09/13 12:08 PM.
    P
    P
    My dd did do the light therapy toward the end of her VT (where she looked into a box with different/changing colors of light. I'm not sure it was all that helpful - she was doing so many different things, and I never really understood how it was supposed to help... and by the time the light therapy was included she'd passed that early spike of rapid improvement and was starting to burn out on weekly VT appointments combined with daily exercises at home. We did have the light box at home for awhile... I had forgotten a lot of this... it's possible I might remember more about it after my brain's pulled it up from long-term memory... if I do, I'll let you know!

polarbear

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I was just curious if she did it! But if you do remember anything significant about it let me know! Thanks!

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Wow...retarded was a legitimate classification at one time, but the WISC-IV and many other tests now use the following labels for various score levels. The use in your son's report is wrong on many levels.

>129 Very Superior
    120-129 Superior
    110-119 High Average
    90-109 Average
    80-89 Low Average
    70-79 Borderline
    <70 Extremely Low

I tell you I think the psych I used for the Wisc was crappy - she was with AI Dupont but it was terrible experience ... The part labled "extremely low" on that was labled "retarded." Also the "borderline" part was labeled "borderline retarded." Whatever. I can't say I recommend AI Dupont for this stuff for many reasons.

Last edited by marytheres; 02/09/13 01:04 PM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    That report was simply awful... it seemed they went out of their way to paint a really disturbing picture of DS - unnecessarily and it was very upsetting. Your reactiosn to them using "retarded" just is further evidence. I had no idea it wasn't used in general.

I am thankful that this report while not without pointing out deficits and issues is still very positive and the psych seemed to accurately see and report DS's strengths and positives.

B
    B
    The state where I live has switched from the eligibility category label of Mental Retardation to Intellectual Disability just within the past two or three years, I believe.

I spend a lot of time trying to prove that my clients are mentally retarded, with severe deficits in adaptive functioning.

From your friends, the Feds:

"12.05 Mental retardation: Mental retardation refers to significantly subaverage general intellectual functioning with deficits in adaptive functioning initially manifested during the developmental period; i.e., the evidence demonstrates or supports onset of the impairment before age 22."

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disab...ok/12.00-MentalDisorders-Adult.htm#12_05

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM