Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Hmmmm... well, we've definitely encountered this (cult-like) mentality surrounding the Saxon program, as well.

We tried it for a while (a month or two) as homeschoolers, and I have to say that I was... er... underwhelmed. I was also a bit mystified, because I sincerely do NOT understand what induces Saxon's many acolytes to feel this way about this curriculum. Nevertheless, "reverence" is the term.

All that to note that yes, I think that you may be correct-- if you've stumbled upon a group of Saxon, er... true believers. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Which grade does middle school start in this private school system? I'd personally be inclined to wait until your ds is in middle school if you're concerned about math placement - it should be easier at that point, particularly if he's taken a middle school course (such as pre-algebra or algebra etc) at his previous school.

We are having our first experience with Saxon math this year - dd8, 3rd grade - her school switched from a more traditonal math program. She's in a school that pushes advanced academics but doesn't differentiate in elementary school. When Saxon was introduced we were told that it might seem to be a bit repetitive for the first part of the year, but to be patient - it was all good, all great, whatever. We're way more than halfway through the year now, and dd hasn't learned ONE danged thing that's new... and she's been repeating math that was taught as a part of the regular grade level math curriculum in 2nd grade last year, as well as having to pratice math facts repeatedly ad nauseum that she can already regurgitate out at an astronomical rate. I could go on... but clearly I'm not impressed with Saxon... and I would be very hesitant to purposely move a child who's been accelerated back into grade-level Saxon. Maybe it's more challenging in upper elementary, but in lower elementary it appears to be the least challenging math curriculum I've seen....

(stepping off my soap box now!)

And now - that said about Saxon - I had some concerns moving my dd into a private school that was very open about "we don't do differentiation" - in spite of that official policy and aside from the Saxon nightmare, her teachers have been VERY good about letting dd achieve and learn at her own pace, and about giving her challenging work, and at recognizing her achievement. So - no official differentiation, but absolutely, the teachers are working with kids and watching and keeping track of who will be given opportunities to subject-accelerate officially in middle school. So in spite of the school advertising a "no acceleration" policy, it's possible it might be a good fit based on how teacher's meet individual student needs in their classroom.

Best wishes,

polarbear
    Good luck,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 02/06/13 02:58 AM.
    Since the point of the exercise is to get your son into 6th grade math, I'd pose them this question: When 11-12yos enroll in this school for the first time from public school, do you send them back a year in math? Do you send them to a 5th grade class for it?

I would expect the answer to be "no," at which point I would demand equal treatment for my son, because he has been working at 5th grade math the entire year before, just like those kids, and setting him back would be a punishment, and a severe blow to his confidence, just like it would for the older kids. The fact that he's 9 has no bearing on the conversation.

And then I would say my DS is ready to take whatever mid-term fifth grade math test they're willing to give him. When they start the "gaps" nonsense, I would interject that this is a non-problem, as he has supportive and involved parents at home.

I would not bother challenging their beliefs about their curriculum, because the ability for humans to change their beliefs based on data is extraordinarily rare. That conversation can only annoy you, and is unlikely to help you achieve your real goal.

mnmom23 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Update:

There has been a suprising turnaround! I was prepared to march into the school arguing my points, but the school is now saying that it should be no problem at all for him to do 6th grade math next year smile They are claiming that all the problems with my DD a couple of years ago was because we wanted her to skip 6th grade math (she had all the data to support it according to everyone except the school) and that 6th grade math is "the most crucial year of Saxon math of them all" and not to be missed. LOL! So they feel satisfied that "skipping" 5th grade SAXON math will be okay since he's in 5th grade non-Saxon math. Not that they still don't think their math is superior . . . .

Thanks so much for all your input. You all never cease to keep me sane!

She thought she could, so she did.
    H
    H
    That's great news! Hope the change goes smoothly at the new school.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM