Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 97 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    hi! we used a different tester to get updated achievement scores and I am ready to cry... HUGH drop all round. I wonder if the were mistakes in scoring... or if I have a lot of work to do with DS.
    Stort recall was a complete fail..... he would not (or could not) recall stories immediately or delayed. He is 7.5 years olf and GE for story recall was Raw scores as follows:
    Letter WOrd ID : 61
    Readin fluency : 41
    Story recal;: - (W 493)
    Understanding directions : (W 504)
    Calculation : RAW 16??
    Math Fluency - RAW 31
    SPelling - Raw 40
    Writing fluency raw 10?????
    Applied problems : raw 33

What happened????? I have a stomach ache.
    Please help!!!

Sounds like he just had a bad day. I wouldn't freak out over one test. Has he suddenly starting doing terribly in school or anything? Does he seem depressed or angry? If not, try not to worry, everyone has a bad day once in a while.

~amy
    L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    He seems unhappy. He thinks school is boring and he pretends to be sick everyday. He hasn't had any exciting projects to turn him on... he does his homework in 30 seconds and hasn't had to study for a single spelling test. ITs been an awful year in school.

S
    S
    Did your son purposely bomb the test? One of my boys did, when he was afraid that if he did well he'd have to change schools. He went from a 99th pct to a 15th. (Takes talent to bomb so successfully.) Can you talk to your son about what was happening when he took the test?

M
    M
    Sorry to hear. I too would suspect he did it on purpose or didn't have a good day. ... I remember bombing a major test simply as an experiment to find out what it feels like and to see if the teacher would notice the pattern of how I changed my answers around (to my disappointed, she never caught my joke :()... I was 7 back then smile

L
    Lukemac Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    He just keeps saying it was boring and he wasn't paying attention. That is is MO for almost EVERYTHING these days. I am starting to get very worried that:
    A) THis was all a fluke to begin with and he is not even gifted
    B) Made a HUGE mistake accelerating him and that it is not "easy" for him, but rather "too hard"
    C) he will be soon be identified as ADHD
    D) I am losing my mind

Do you do any after school enrichment or activities right now? It seems like maybe he needs something to take his mind off school for a little while - soccer or karate or SOMETHING. That doesn't fix the school situation, but sometimes having something going on that makes you happy can make the boring stuff easier to get through.

I highly doubt his other testing was a "fluke". It's pretty hard to accidentally score as gifted or a full grade level or two above your age peers.

~amy
    P
    P
    ITA with everything Dottie wrote.

One thing that you might consider - it looks like all of his fluency tests are "relatively" low (compared to the comprehension/etc tests in the same categories - when you group reading subtests, writing subtests, math subtests). The "fluency" tests are the subtests that are timed - it's possible he simply didn't realize working fast was important, or maybe his handwriting is slower than his oral response ability etc.

I wouldn't just automatically assume he "threw" these tests or was having an anomalously bad testing day - those things might have happened but there is a little more in your posts that I would think through. He's not happy at school - that could be boredom, but are you 100% sure of it? Have you sat in on class at all to see what is going on? Does his teacher think he's bored, or does he/she have any concerns? FWIW, my ds13 had significant drops in WJ-III Achievement Scores between when he was tested at 5 and when he was tested again at 7. The lower scores (at 7) were *not* representative of who he is (he now is testing way high again)... but those lower scores were *accurate* in that he had an undiagnosed learning disability, and it was in the WJ-III Scores (combined with looking at his IQ subtest scores) that it first became understandable. The other thing that was going on, at 7, in 2nd grade was.... ds was miserable at school. Not knowing about the disability... to us as parents... it looked very much like ds was simply bored at school. I'm guessing that's not the case with your ds, but based on those lower fluency scores, I would consider thinking through his school day, his complaints, his work, etc just to be sure there isn't something more than boredom going on.

Best wishes,

polarbear

P
    P
    OK, totally ignore my post - I was thinking you'd written in percentile scores! Even though you have RAW written there clearly - I apparently wasn't paying attention!

Sorry I didn't see they were the RAW scores -

polarbear

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    I will share a few observations that may touch on this.

- The "gifted" label tripped us up. We lumped our child into a category and then read a few books about other gifted children, assuming that somehow told us about her. We fit her for a gifted team jersey and then pushed her back out there expecting everything to change somehow because we now had an IQ score. Had we spent more time understanding her unique strengths, weaknesses, and needs, she would be a lot happier and possibly in an entirely different place. Labels are more helpful as clues than as conclusions.

- Remind yourself that the gifted population is incredibly diverse despite what some books imply.

- In my experience children do not often tell parents what is really going on. Just last night DD9 told us for the first time that when she was four her pre-K co-teacher told the entire class they were stupid after all but one failed to put a certain number of cotton balls on their sheep craft. This same teacher also told DD she was not smart after she made two lady bugs instead of the required three. She carried that around for five years after without telling us. Ouch.

- Learning disabilities can be incredibly hard to tease out of gifted children, so that's always worth exploring especially if you can afford to test for it even "just in case."

- As Cathy M said on this forum once, "Any test score is just a snapshot of your child on a particular day. It's not a number stamped on her brain at birth."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM