Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 337 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi all! Asking here and hoping for help since there do seem to be a number of us who have children with convergencey insufficieny. My son, as many of you may recall, has "intermittent convergent strabismus" and he loves to use his iPhone. However, I have noticed that the iPhone is greatly exacerbating his vision disorder and convergence issues and there is a big diffference in his symptoms when he is without the iPhone. I am thinking that perhaps the iPhone is one of the poorest types of choices for a child with a convergency issues because it is so small. However, being without this type of technology in this day and age is almost an impossibility. So, what is a good choice of this type of technology for children with convergence insufficiency? I am wondering would an iPad be better because it is bigger? Ditto a Kindle Fire? Or should he really just stick to a laptop. Anyone know or have experiences to share on this? Thank you for any help and advice!

Last edited by marytheres; 01/30/13 08:16 AM.
    Z
    Z
    My son's issue is different and he seems to do fine on variousdevices. But I have some remaining strabismus along with permanent effects of amblyopia. I find phone screens and Nintendo DS type devices very fatiguing. I know in general even on a computer, I need to look up relatively frequently and make sure my eyes are roving. Many games seem to lead to a more intense focus with less thought to looking away. I don't have similar fatigue issues using the new iPad as as I do with smaller screen devices but in general I find the larger the screen the better off I am overall. The iPad also has free access to apps we've had for the iPhone.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks Zen, that was hepful!

I am thinking of getting the Kindle Fire so that I can make fonts bigger and easier on his eyes than books (the regular books with small print bother his eyes too) and just having play games on the laptop. Limiting iphone as much as possible.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent