Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    linje Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hello everyone,

so I am Linje a 25 years old frenchgirl, [I'm saying just in case some of my sentences would sound funny] and I am a lost gifted, and a Peter Pan reader !

So, today my psychologist asked me how long I was going to waste my time doing day jobs and my so-called arty shenanigans. (I think I'm musician sometimes !) This question is moving me so much, even Mother never asked me so ! (Mother is not uncaring, I was born with an health condition and I had substance abuse issues, so she's just grateful to have me here rather than in a grave)

Now you can asked what it has to do with being gifted ? That's the point I told to my psychologist, but to everyone it has do with this "condition". I'm no longer the person she thinks I am. She knows me well but can an adult still be called gifted even if they did not achieve a single thing in their life ? It's my case so I don't think so.

Since I'm alcohol and drugs free, I felt like should have done something with myself but that I can't because my brain is gone and that an harmful life is all I deserve and can pretend to, since I wasted what I had. I having much more of an hard-time when people are saying "You can do anything you want with the brain you have" that is so not true. They can't seem to get that you just can not apply to the Uni just because you know how to read...

Did someone ever felt like being smart was a curse, and that perhaps they were not meant to achieve "great" stuff ?

"you can't repeat the past"
    Hi Linje,

I'll need to think on this a bit and see if I can come up with something more helpful to say, but just wanted to let you know that I have known and loved more than a few people like you--late bloomers (are you familiar with that expression? I don't know French so don't know if there's an equivalent).

Conquering your addictions is a huge thing; that takes a lot of work. You are still so young, and you still have time to figure out what else you want to do. I know that sounds patronizing, but I was 25 once wink

What kind of reaction do you think your psychologist was trying to provoke in you? It sounds like she can see that you have the potential to do something wonderful, and she wants to help you to see it too...

I don't think I've answered your question, but I wanted to offer my encouragement.

Welcome to the forum!

Mo

I've recently watched a TV series called "Moon Machines," which looks at the engineering side of the Apollo program. These are people who used their brains to solve novel engineering problems, under intense pressure, and accomplish something great.

Side note: many of them reported working crazy hours, for months/years at a time, and the pressure on their families led to a huge divorce rate.

So... maybe achieving something "great" isn't all its cracked up to be.

The great thing about having high ability is that increases the number of options. But it still comes down to this: What do you want to do? If you want to do something great, go for it. And feel free to define "great" as whatever it is you want it to mean.

Personally, I've been all around the world (literally) and done some really interesting things, but being a dad is the greatest adventure I've ever had.

D
    D
    I think being gifted isn't what you achieve, it is who you are. I also think that it could be very helpful for you to read about Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration. I am sure there must be literature in French that you could find.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive_Disintegration

Last edited by deacongirl; 01/25/13 09:33 AM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Personally, I've been all around the world (literally) and done some really interesting things, but being a dad is the greatest adventure I've ever had.

I want to reinforce this point Dude makes because it echoes my sentiments on parenting beautifully. (@Dude: I wish I could shake your hand warmly for that post!)

Fulfillment isn't always where you expect to find it.

Your best use of your unique gifts might be in an academic/professional realm...and it might not. I chose the professional route, published early and copiously, and then found myself in a "so what?" mindset. Frankly, my work made zero real impact in the world. It wasn't until I became a parent that I felt I was making a meaningful contribution to humanity, let alone achieving near my potential. This isn't to say parenthood is a blanket solution for everyone at every stage in his/her life, just that it was an excellent fit for me at this time.

There are many facets to giftedness beyond mere mental horsepower. People tend to undervalue the unmeasurable-- compassion, excitability, emotional sensitivity, ingenuity.

I think our best guide to our calling is accepting what we enjoy most and letting a vocation grow out of that organically. For me, this meant accepting that I will have serial callings. I took professional flack for choosing to be a stay at home mother and pursuing further university studies for fun. It was worth doing what I love. For you, it may be an unfolding process of self discovery and questioning around the arts.

I don't know a single person who has 100% clarity around major life decisions. I also don't know anyone who hasn't failed in some way. I could give you a dissertation of the ways in which I've come up short at one time or another. That said, I wouldn't trade away my failures because they each taught me important lessons I needed later.

I wish you every success and happiness on whichever path you choose. You are never alone- we're just a post away!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    1st of all you are 25, how I wish I was 25 (50). Even if as you say you wasted 10 years, (You only wasted it if you take nothing from it), and you still have many years for many new choices. Life is not an end goal; it’s a series of choices we build ourselves on. It’s easy to look at others and see what we have not accomplished and may not ever accomplish. Valuing yourself on others achievements will only lead to disappointment. I am all for lofty goals and striving to improve ourselves and a certain amount of life dissatisfaction is needed to help drive us to grater things. I do understand that we are told that we can do anything we want, and that we have the ability to do great things because we are smart. It’s not true, (Some may disagree). Potential means nothing without action; many so called successful people are not bright. Much of what we hold up as successful are mostly hard workers, and risk takers. The basic axiom of you get what you put into things is true. (I can't say this enough, in all aspects emotionally, fiscally, physically, etc...)Your personal success will be based on what you define it to be, and how much you put into it. The best satisfaction in life comes from placing effort into things. I try to explain to my math club kids, math is no fun when it’s easy; it is fun when you work hard on something, push yourself and then solve it. It's hard, (Things are always easy to say rather then to do) but you have to look at things differently. Many of us tend to see the whole mountain in front of us and decide we can’t do it, or we try a little and then give up. Some build up muscle by moving up a little at a time getting stronger as they go, constantly pushing themselves a little more each time. Some never even have an end goal, just a path they start. Also (Since I have my soap box to stand on) I find doing for others is much more rewarding then doing for myself (My personal observation). What you focus on and what you think of, is what you will achieve. If all you see are obstacles then that’s all you will ever achieve. If all you see are solutions, and opportunity’s then that too will be what you achieve. I know it sounds a little simplistic, it's not, our past choices and environments have helped define us. That being said the world will give you what you ask for and strive for. All you have to do is change the way you think, focus on what you want, tell everyone your goal, and take lots of action.

Last edited by Edwin; 01/25/13 10:46 AM.
    C
    C
    It sounds as though you're in a fixed rather than a growth mindset - you're seeing being gifted as a property that you used to have but don't feel any more, and as something that is, or was, a property of you independent of what you do with it.

You might find it very helpful, even perhaps revelatory, to read something by Carol Dweck, such as her book Mindset. In a nutshell, she argues based on research that the growth mindset is more productive. (This is a separate question from whether it's true, which is a bit hard to get one's head around! But in any case, success in anything worthwhile certainly does require work, perseverance etc.)

Alcohol and some drugs can have damaging effects on the brain physically, and if you haven't done much that's intellectually demanding lately that also won't have helped, so although "my brain is gone" is probably over-dramatic, you could well be objectively correct in perceiving that in some ways it doesn't work as well as it once did. However, that can be temporary! The brain is remarkably plastic; you'd probably be surprised how fast you'd feel comfortable again doing whatever hard stuff you want to do, if you started working towards it systematically.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by linje
    Did someone ever felt like being smart was a curse, and that perhaps they were not meant to achieve "great" stuff ?

I feel like that all the time frown , though I feel learning is important, and being willing to learn is equally important, I believe when you learn whether by uni, school or by observation, There comes a time you can give something to the world and recieve love back and being content in the process.

I think that most gifted persons have had a period of time where they wondered if they "weren't gifted" anymore due to some set of life circumstances or a series of poor performances/decisions.

That's not necessarily related to being gifted, though. It's related to self-doubt, uncertainty, and growth as a person.

Who is to say that those arty shenanigans aren't serving some larger purpose for YOU personally?

Maybe your destiny in life isn't to serve humanity with your gifts used at some mythical "full capacity." Maybe it's to live in a way which feels meaningful and fulfilling to you rather than to meet the expectations that others might have of you.

Figuring out what we want and letting go of what doesn't matter to us personally is very hard work. But it's also a relief to set down the burden of others' expectations.

Good luck! smile (And congratulations on your work toward sobriety.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    I think being gifted isn't what you achieve, it is who you are.

I think so too.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I think that most gifted persons have had a period of time where they wondered if they "weren't gifted" anymore due to some set of life circumstances or a series of poor performances/decisions.

Yup, or with me I wonder if my brain is just aging. But then, out of nowhere, it'll return... in a flash of inspiration, insight or atypically in-depth understanding of something... or maybe an intense drive to know, or an over the top emotional response.

It's always there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader