Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #147027 01/25/13 06:30 AM
    OP Offline
    My kid needs time to mature for kinder, so they're sending him back to pre-k for the remainder of the year. When the teacher gives group work and tells them what to do, mine just doesn't finish. He talks to other kids instead.

But it was extra work since he's in pre-k and it was a kinder pullout. So the obvious answer is he just doesn't have to do the work. Here's hoping he does the work in pre-k and doesn't get in trouble. Pre-k they teach them to read and color, so it's not all play-based.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    La Texican #147256 01/28/13 12:29 AM
    P
    P
    How old is he and is the work boring for him? Or challenging? Pointless? Does he generally have trouble finishing things? - more so than other kids his age I mean.

La Texican #147279 01/28/13 07:21 AM
    OP Offline
    He's five, a late birthday put him in pre-k this year. He just likes his pre-k class better. I taught him too much before I sent him to school, and I'm still teaching him. He probably should have gone straight into first grade this year, academically. I asked the teacher if he could do map testing, but she said this school doesn't use that test. I just wanted to know, ya know? I do wish I could say, put him in a tough class, just to see if he takes off there, kwim? But they put him in kinder for language arts something like the first week of school. So, it's not like they didn't try. Right now they said it was maturity, he'll do better next year, he needs to go to pre-k and get it out of his system. At home he'll do what I can only call "stalling", dragging his feet and walking slow or getting dressed slow when you tell him to do something (not just school related). So when the teacher said he just wasn't doing his work, but that he could do it. I said, stalling. She shook her head yes.

Honestly, I'm kind of a little mad. Sending him to school this year has taught him nothing eductionally. What I really wanted them to teach him was to sit still and do his work, how to "do school". He's not extra wiggly at inappropriate times very often. I have sat with my kids through most of a town hall meeting a few times. They can behave.

What he will really learn is that he doesn't have to do work at school if he doesn't want to. He has coasted now for half a year without doing any work (apparently) and this is the first I hear of it, "oh, by the way, it's just not working out." I heard about it at the beginning of the year from him, but this time the teacher's the one who's unhappy and I didn't hear it from her until it's too late.

But I just smiled and said, okay. Is there anything I have to do different, or just drop him off at school at time and y'all will take care of it. They answered with a smile and said he'll be more mature next year.

What I would have done differently is make a weekly checklist that he's responsible to show the teacher everyday where she checks "homework" or "no homework" and send home any work he doesn't do in class. When he has to work at home instead of play in the yard I'll bet he does his work in class.

Short answer: the work is below his readiness level, but isn't school always?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    La Texican #147286 01/28/13 07:45 AM
    P
    P
    La Texican,

Your DS sounds somewhat like my DD. She is SLOW. She does everything slow. Brushing her teeth, taking shower, eating, etc.... We have to wake her up early so that she could be ready for school. It takes about 30 minutes for her to go to bed (just brushing her teeth and using the bathroom). But she finish her multiple choice questions quick. She is a perfectionist so she would take her time to do writing, projects, etc...

She skipped K and went straight to 1st grade. May be what your DS experiencing is boreness not the maturity. Ask your district about the policy to skip a grade. Usually recommendation from the teacher carries a lot of weight but probably not in your DS's case.

Good Luck!

La Texican #147290 01/28/13 08:02 AM
    E
    E
    If you are not comfortable with him being sent back to pre-k I would definitely say something. From the reasons you stated they gave my DS5 would be sent back to pre-k, though his age wouldn't permit it. I go into the class and watch him. He stares off into space, does his "projects" very slowly and hardly ever finishes them. I believe that he isn't interested and I don't really blame him. However this has led his teacher to believe that DS doesn't need more because he's not showing him he wants more. It is sort of a catch-22.

La Texican #147300 01/28/13 10:09 AM
    OP Offline
    Question:, just so we're talking about the same thing. Stalling to get your shoes on to go to the park (easy zipper boots) is perfectionism procrastination, not just what I previously thought, which is that perfectionist procrastination is just avoiding something you can't do well?

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent