Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 135 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    OP Offline
    P
    Background: We suspected DD was gifted in 1st grade but also that something else was going on due to behavior issues. In 2nd grade we asked her teacher. She said "Oh, no, she's not gifted. I have gifted kids in my class and she's nothing like them." The pre-screen was completed but she didn't pass, so it went no further. We continued trying to figure out what was going on. Fast forward to fourth grade. Due to insurance we had left her first peds Dr, but were finally able to go back to them again. Talked with her Dr. and finally arrived at ADHD diagnosis. Her fourth grade teacher was encouraging and said he felt there was "raw potential in there" He suggested we ask to re-screen her at the beginning of 5th grade to giver her time to find a good medication level. We did have a sec. 504 plan set up for her.

In 5th grade she was automatically placed in the schools gifted/talented class due to her grades and previous test scores. We had her tested anyways. She passed the screening and they moved forward with the the actual testing. According to the school testing she qualified as "gifted" but not high enough in the "achievement testing" to be qualified to attend a different school for gifted starting in 6th grade.

Current News:

OK. Here we are in 6th grade. Regular public school and in their "Talented and gifted" program. Because we live in a small town, we have two counties that run through it. The middle school is technically in the other county, so a whole different set of priorities.

She's had all A's the last year in 5th grade, did amazing on the FL state yearly test. Now 6th grade, she's struggling beyond belief. During an appt in Oct her Dr asked if she was in advanced classes. I said yes. She asked which ones. I said all of them. She said really?? The Dr asked if we had ever looked at the gifted school for her. I explained that we had but she didn't met the achievement testing score for it. The dr very firmly said "try again". I took it as a passing comment.

When I went to pick up her script the following month there was a sticky note attached saying "Gifted school??".

So, here's where I am asking for your input. DD's testing was originally done by the school psychologist.

She will need to re-do at least the achievement testing to see if she will qualify for the school again. But I'm concerned that the "sub-tests" they get to pick out form the whole set of testing won't really paint the real picture of her.

Is there a difference between allowing the school to do the testing again VS taking her to a private Dr to do the "full battery of testing"?

Does the full battery make a bug difference in a 2e child for identifying the gifted potential?

It's just very expensive to go privately (possibly $2500) and I guess I'd just like to have some more input from others who may have personal insight into the issues surrounding 2e children.

Thank you so veyr much for reading through all of this!!

P
    P
    Ditto mon's thoughts - every single one of them! Private neuropsych testing has been absolutely THE single most important thing we've done for our 2e ds.

You can always start by expressing your concerns to your ped again and asking for a referral for private testing - that's how we were able to get our insurance to cover our ds' testing. It won't work for all insurance policies, but it's worth a try.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...