Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Good news this week is that DS5 jumped six months on the waitlist for his assessment so he will be seen in May instead of Nov.

DH had a question about how any diagnosis would be made that I could not really answer and I was hoping someone could chime in with how it worked with your kid.

I explained how one thing they look for is a gap between the ability test and the achievement test.

His concern is if DS doesn't give consistent effort across the two tests then the results might not really reflect whether or not he has any issues.

I also think his concern is that we are going to spend a lot of money for an assessment that ends in "well it is really hard to tell right now, maybe come back in a year or so and we will see how he is doing then"

We have some reason for the concern.
    Last year he took the WPPSI when he was four and a half. I think the psychologist was ready to call it on the testing because DS was not really taking it seriously. Fortunately the psychologist was working with doctoral intern. I think the intern "got" my son more plus it seemed like he had more experience with young children. I got the impression the psychologist worked more with older kids and teenagers. The intern took over and tried a "testing the limits" strategy or something like that where they ask harder questions first. DS was more engaged and finished the tests.

Thoughts?

I am guessing there is more to it than just looking at any gap.

What sort of person/dr is doing the assessment? What tests/tools will they be using?

The neuropsych we took our DS to had us and DS's teachers fill out several forms about his behavior, skills, emotions, etc, etc. She administered the WISC and WIAT and he was observed the entire time. To evaluate him/diagnose him, all the information was taken into consideration - the forms, his test performance, his behavior/emotions during the test, his body movements, the way he spoke - basically EVERYTHING! Then, using all those years of schooling/training/experience she arrives at a diagnosis and she explained to use WHY she diagnosed those things.

Now, not every assessment is going to result in a diagnosis... sometimes they can't be sure... sometimes kids are borderline and one dr might see something where another dr doesn't. Sometimes the kids won't play ball at all, and you get nowhere.

This is why it's stressed on here to find an assessor who has experience dealing with 2e kids!

~amy
    K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Drs. Brock and Fernette Eide will be doing the assessment. They are MDs.

This is a clip from their website about what is used:

Selection of tests may vary, but usually ability-achievement discrepancies are determined by IQ testing (WISC-IV, WAIS-IV), achievement tests (WIAT-III) and with selected subtests from the Woodcock Johnson Cognitive Abilities Test III, Nelson-Denny Reading testing, PEEX2, PEERAMID, etc. as appropriate

I am the researcher in my family on my son's issues. DH knows something is off and agrees with getting an assessment. We both want answers and after waiting for the assessment, if we don't have them, we will be disappointed.

I tried explaining that for a gifted kid with suspected dyslexia we really couldn't be seeing better people.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by KJP
    I tried explaining that for a gifted kid with suspected dyslexia we really couldn't be seeing better people.

That's for sure! Have you explained that they are probably the most reknowned researchers in the country in the field of dyslexia in gifted kids?

It's not just total achievement score vs. total IQ score - it's more about the scatter in the various subtests. Are his scores lower on the ones that involve writing as opposed to the ones that involve circling as opposed to the ones that involve giving the answer verbally? How good is he at finding things he's looking for on a page?

I hope that the testing helps you to move forward! I am sure that you will like the Eides and that they will work hard to help you.

K
    KJP Offline OP
    OP Offline
    K
    Thanks MON I will pass on your experience on how it was different for a 2e assessment.

With the first assessment we were trying to figure out if early K was a good idea. Preschool was not working but he was missing the date cut off for K by a week and a half. All we really got was "exceptionally gifted, start kindergarten, see SENG and Hoagies websites for information on parenting and education".
    The report had a very cut and paste vibe.

I think the idea of getting a diagnosis, the reasons behind the diagnosis and a plan for his education specifically is what is so appealing about going to the Eides.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent