Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #145810 01/10/13 06:01 AM
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Dd12 was in private Montessori from age 3-spring of 5th grade. Moved to large, competitive public school district. Finished 5th grade at elementary, then skipped 6th and started first year in middle school as 7th grader in advanced content classes.

She had a few bumps with a few bad test grades along the way, but has had all As so far on her report card, and in the 2nd quarter the lowest grade was 95% in math. She has made one close friend at school and seems happy overall, and we feel very positive about the skip.

Just wanted to share, for anyone on the fence. Before we went through the process I was not convinced dd was a good candidate for skipping, but clearly it was the right choice for her.

D
    D
    Lovely, Deacongirl. Glad you and DD made the leap!

DeeDee

J
    J
    My dd is in 2nd grade and the school is suggesting a full grade acceleration for her. They feel she will need to skip at some point and feel sooner is better than later. This seems like a really young age to do an acceleration. She is
    already on the young side for her grade because she has a March birthday. Not sure if we should even consider it at this point?

Love a happy story!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    J
    J
    We are a k-5 school so what you said about getting comfortable with the new group before middle school makes a lot of sense. I believe the only testing that was done was the Woodcock Johnson achievement. She scored very superior (150's) in the reading and math and was shown to be 3 sometimes 4 grades ahead(more so in reading) of where she she should be. She is aware of the situation and would very much like to go to 3rd. She has friends in that grade, one of whom is her best friend. I do worry that it will be hard if she goes from being the highest in her grade to more average among her peers. Seems like it could be a blow to her self esteem and confidence.

J
    J
    Kcab-I did not know of the 10% guideline but the GT teacher did say she would do quarterly meet with classroom teacher to make sure she is getting similar grades as before the skip, which of course is all A's. I am very new on here and have not figured out how to start a thread. Clearly my dd gets her intelligence from dad. Lol

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs