Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 417 guests, and 45 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    A good reminder. I'm working on this when looking over DD's work packets. This time she brought home a ton of 43/45, 10/11, 18/20, etc. In almost all cases, the points off were careless errors...but you know, just one or two. I know she could get 100% on almost all of it, but I congratulated her on a good packet of work." More importantly, there was no "I tanked this because I panicked/didn't read directions" work.

Yep, sounds familiar. I was that guy who could work through a complex trig problem, hit all the operations exactly right, and end up with the wrong answer because somewhere along the line I didn't carry a one, or slipped in a 9 / 3 = 2.

What's interesting is that this could happen whether I slowed down or not. And checking my answers had a less than 50% chance of catching it, because I had already laid the path to the wrong answer, and it was all too easy for my brain to follow it again.

So yeah... going fast doesn't quite explain it for me. I think it's more of a forest over trees type thing. I just don't notice the details sometimes.

The most effective method for me to catch errors is to stay at my normal pace, but use some time after to check the answer using a different process.

That's the method that seems to work best for my DD, as well, Dude.

"Slowing down" doesn't help-- except that it can exacerbate her anxiety over perfectionism.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by LPCZ
    Well, okay, insisting on 100% accuracy is unrealistic for anyone. That's not even an acceptable thing in most adult occupations (obviously air traffic controllers, hostage negotiators, and neurosurgeons are excused now wink ).

While it may be true that "error-free" is within the grasp of someone who has a fast processing speed (because they can afford do the assigned task two or even four times over?) that kind of encourages an unhealthy set of OCD-like behaviors, first of all. How many times SHOULD one check over that written paragraph for grammatical errors? How many times is enough reworking of that physics problem?

FWIW, I just wanted to clarify what I'd posted about having my dd who makes careless errors because she flies through work at warp speed and doesn't notice things - we aren't asking her to check and re-check her work. I do think it's reasonable (and a good habit to get into) to check your work once over, and I don't think checking once is going to turn a non-perfectionist child into a perfectionist. Although it's next to impossible to achieve 100% in any type of endeavor (realistically) the reality is that in the working world it *is* important to check your work - would you not want to be sure you had the correct prescription when you pick it up? Would you want the engineer who designed the building your office is up on not to double-check to make sure he didn't accidentally drop a digit somewhere before you ride the elevator up to the 10th floor? Maybe it's the profession I'm in, but checking work once is routine. And way back in school... we don't want to think it, but grades do count and test scores do count, and checking our work once helps - for most kids. (Not necessarily my dysgraphic kid but that's another thread entirely :))

polarbear

U
    U
    To some degree, you have to learn how to engage while you check. If If DD "checks" herself, I think she just runs her eyes over it all. If I see a mistake, though, usually all I have to say is "Look at this one again," and she's like, "OH! Duh," and fixes it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM