Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    N
    N
    Would it be helpful to collect "corroborating" support from third parties, such as our paediatrician, to lend credibility to my claims? I try to catch videos of some of the more "outlandish" activities on my iPhone, but I'm not much of a cinematographer! Plus, these talents reveal themselves unannounced.

I am going to say No. Because say you are looking for early entry to school for example. If you pull out a letter from your pediatrician about what he was doing when he was 14 months, it does not add anything to the case AND it makes you look a bit mad, and over invested. And when they head off to college or whatever it does not matter in the end what they did when they were a baby. It's kind of nice to keep some records for yourself if you want to. You think you won't' forget... but you do!

Oh yes. You DO forget, so write everything down!

GeoPuzzles! LOVE them! I sat today and did 5 of them. DS5 and I took turns doing one each. I do not like doing them with him because while I work on one piece, he has placed 15.....I feel like the child saying "no please, don't show me. Let me do this myself"....lol!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ninjanoodle
    Hi aquinas,
    I learned my lesson and finally did take notes on my third kid's development. This is from 14 and 15 months. It does not correlate directly with yours - I didn't put much down about counting.
    Is your son saying many words?
    She had pretty advance early literacy like my other kids and knew her alphabet before two and was reading some words at two. She was recently tested at 99.9th centile (145) and is early entering into school in 2013 at 4y 8,m, she can read pretty well already.

14 months
    walking really well
    running
    steps down steps holding one hand
    really interested in letters,
    always names b, o, n
    sometimes knows s, d, m, a,
    obsessed by balls
    "big ball"
    learning colours
    great understanding eg "Go and hold Brian's hand"
    really getting good at repeating words, today for example about 5 new words though I can't remember what they were!
    can point to objects in turn while I count
    likes scribbling
    can shout out letters as we drive in the car

15 months

kicks ball forward
    spins on the spot
    walks backwards
    "me mi" (give me the milk)
    R
    tantrum
    went to one sleep months ago
    about 30 words?
    runs
    paints, scribbles (on wall!)
    says "wee" but no luck in potty yet.
    danced months ago
    loves climbing
    has been 'reading" books and turning pages since before 12 months
    First three words together today, bubble da ba(th) which meant, I want to have bubbles in the bath.
    Several two word combinations

words - mummy daddy nana, sisters name, brothers name, manma (grandma) mampa ( grandpa) own name
    dory (story), book ,me, mi (milk, water, drink), nana (food, banana ), juice, eye, nose, mou (mouth), no, yes, ear, up, shoe, bubble,
    ba (bath) ball star car bus day (train) bee, ba (sheep), moo (cow).
    door, bum, bye bye, ta,
    duck, now (cat, ie meow), mats (mouse, Max), da (the)
    letters - sometimes - N M D A R T S E B
    some recognising of colours but not 100% (yellow, blue, purple, red)
    another three worder, "me ba(th) Nana" (I am in the bath with sister)

Hope that's interesting! Let me know what you think....

Cheers,

ninjanoodle, I wish I could hug you! Thank you so much for that wonderfully detailed record from your daughter! That granularity is so informative.

I don't want to bore you with redundant information, as I've just now provided some more details about my son in replies to previous posters. But, in answer to you question, my son is in the ~175-200 word range for clearly spoken words. He has, I'd guess, at least as many spoken words where he says the first syllable of the word.

His vocabulary seems to expand either outright, with the word(s) said crystal clear immediately, or progressively, with one syllable or phoneme added at a time over a period of hours, days, or weeks. For instance, a month ago, zebra was a non-word extended "zzzzz" while pointing at a zebra. Then, it became "zee", "zeeb", and then "zeeb-a". When he includes the "r", I'll count it as a word.

Interestingly, my husband says his memory seems to work alphabetically, so it seems like my son has inherited his mental taxonomy. Did you ever notice anything similar with your daughter or other children?

ETA: If you, or any other participants, would like more details about my son, please don't hesitate to ask.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Would it be helpful to collect "corroborating" support from third parties, such as our paediatrician, to lend credibility to my claims? I try to catch videos of some of the more "outlandish" activities on my iPhone, but I'm not much of a cinematographer! Plus, these talents reveal themselves unannounced.

I am going to say No. Because say you are looking for early entry to school for example. If you pull out a letter from your pediatrician about what he was doing when he was 14 months, it does not add anything to the case AND it makes you look a bit mad, and over invested.

Fair. It can be a fine line between advocacy and lunacy, and I'd prefer not to be the nutbar parent who needs a hefty dose of Valium! wink

N
    N
    Yes! But with a different child. My second child who is now 9 complained recently about the words. The words are driving me crazy!
    WHat words say I?
    I can see the words, when people talk, it's very annoying, she complained.
    My jaw dropped as I have this too, but never told anyone about it. When I mentioned it to my mum, she said she sometimes gets that too, and she had never told anyone either!
    It's kind of like subtitles. If I can't understand what people say, I can't 'see' the words. But if I wasn't listening properly sometimes I can play it back. Weird huh?

N
    N
    Yes. Enough people will think you are mad ( I have been there done that!!!) so best not to add fuel to the fire.... LOL

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes! But with a different child. My second child who is now 9 complained recently about the words. The words are driving me crazy!
    WHat words say I?
    I can see the words, when people talk, it's very annoying, she complained.
    My jaw dropped as I have this too, but never told anyone about it. When I mentioned it to my mum, she said she sometimes gets that too, and she had never told anyone either!
    It's kind of like subtitles. If I can't understand what people say, I can't 'see' the words. But if I wasn't listening properly sometimes I can play it back. Weird huh?

Wow! Full stop.

I believe it.

I have a terrible visual memory, but a wicked auditory memory. I used to read at university while watching the Simpsons and Britcom and link the subject matter to the transcripts. I can still derive some long-"forgotten" proofs because of what Homer said...

ETA: I see his trait of mine in my son, who does his best learning in parallel with other activities.

Last edited by aquinas; 01/02/13 08:37 PM.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Yes. Enough people will think you are mad ( I have been there done that!!!) so best not to add fuel to the fire.... LOL

My in-laws openly doubted my son's ability to speak when he first started, and still do now. I figure water seeks his own level. Doubt away, haters!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by 1111
    Oh yes. You DO forget, so write everything down!

GeoPuzzles! LOVE them! I sat today and did 5 of them. DS5 and I took turns doing one each. I do not like doing them with him because while I work on one piece, he has placed 15.....I feel like the child saying "no please, don't show me. Let me do this myself"....lol!

LOL! Glad to hear the endorsement. Any other favourites...puzzles, books, apps, toys, or otherwise, that your recommend 1111?

I have a feeling I'm going to have to learn to enjoy being bested pretty soon!! Character builder much? wink

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by CCN
    LOL I love your settling method - that's awesome smile

Haha! It's laughable, but I wish we'd discovered it many months earlier. On those 3am nights, which were less infrequent than I'd like to remember, I could have used an ace up my sleeve!

He's an intense little man, and very much a lactivore, which helps in our co-sleeping home. He can settle reasonably quickly once he's saturated. At least he naps!

Originally Posted by CCN
    They've both always been mathy. As a toddler DS counted everything: his toys, the pieces of his food, the steps as he walked down them - you name it, he'd count it. In grade one he started doing simple equations with negative numbers (DD may have shown him? I didn't - not sure where he got the idea). He LOVED fractions. His grade 1 teacher suggested I move him out of French and into Montessori so his math would be accelerated (which I considered, but then chose to keep him in French instead). He's always been a grade or two ahead. He's currently not formally enriched in this area, although his grade 3 teacher suggested I let him work from his sister's grade 5 text.

DD loved making up math games - for example when she was three she made up this math wheel on the black board that looked like dart board with equations in it. It was cute. She was proud (I was dazzled, lol). At three she had learned to add, subtract and multiply (she just loved numbers) and was always after me to show her things. I wasn't sure how to explain division so I didn't (thought of an idea a few years later, using marbles and cups... by then she'd already learned on paper), but I'm sure she could have learned division then as well. In grade two she was tested by the school and found to be 1-3 grades above age level, and in grade 3 was put in a pilot junior math gifted program for grades 3 and 4 (which was canceled the following year due to lack of funding). Currently she's in the intermediate version of that program and does some math tutoring on the side.

It's funny because at three her math and reading ability were way, way above age level (her reading included compound words, contractions, silent letters, etc), but once she was exposed to school... it was like she "settled" into this lower ability... like cereal sold by weight settling in the bag... because she's the chameleon/anxiety/perfectionist type. I really have no idea what her IQ is, and after the disaster that was DS's testing, I'm steering clear with DD.

Fascinating! Your DD and DS are brilliant! Isn't it awe-inspiring how these little ones think?

My son seems to be "getting" how numbers interact, too. For instance, if I say "two", sometimes he holds up two fingers on one hand, while other times he'll hold up one finger on each hand. Ditto for three. (Thankfully not the middle one ala "get lost Mama"! That said, he did go through a phase of flicking us off around 1-2 months, but I think/hope it was neurological and not frustration!)

I guess the lesson I'm learning is that I'm more of a gesticulator than I realize! wink

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM