Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    CCN #145112 12/28/12 01:32 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by CCN
    Originally Posted by Dude
    With these kids, there's another, tougher question that precedes this one: "What is their age?" Because the number of revolutions around the sun just doesn't explain them the same way it does for most people.

And the answer to that question is another question: "What do you mean? Chronologically? Physically? Cognitively? Socially? Psychologically?"

Yes!!! Exactly.

And, what age at what time? And, is there a way to predict the age you are going to get at any given time???

Back to the original thread.....

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    And herein lies the question(s) . . . right?!

Good thoughts.

I've often been most flummoxed by people who come to the conclusion that we "aren't letting {DD} have a childhood."

The reason that I'm never sure what to say to that one is that, well... in some ways she ISN'T her chronological age. Should we patronize her? Infantilize her? Clearly that carries its own price, most specifically in her self-esteem.

On the other hand, turn most people loose with my 13yo for a few afternoons and they forget completely that she IS only 13.

They start imposing 18-21yo expectations on her. WE are generally the ones who are putting the brakes on THAT kind of behavior and shielding her from it.

You know that you have one of those kids when you start hearing "Oh, you know... I just forget that she's not another adult when I get to talking with her" when your child is many years from even being an adolescent.

That's been one of our toughest and most relentless tasks in raising a PG child. WE aren't the ones trying to rob her of childhood-- the world at large seems to be dead set upon it, however.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    I got flack from people when my two were younger for "over scheduling them."

The truth is, I couldn't handle them. I had to have them in multiple activities ongoing, or the inactivity would leave them restless, hyper and stressed out. Now it's a little easier because they can manage their own energy a bit better and they can self direct. When they were younger though... none of the other toddler moms understood and I was "critiqued" often.

Last edited by CCN; 12/28/12 08:04 PM.
    Interesting point, Howlerkarma! I can tell when my kid's frontal lobes have short-circuited and she needs to be treated like an actual 4 year old, but most other people can't. They judge her by her usual behavior, and conclude that she is just suddenly being "bad." You're right, they're the ones not letting her be her age.

CCN, I sometimes feel like I'm overscheduling too, but I also just can't handle my kid's need for constant input! So I'm outsourcing it. Waiting for the day when she can self-direct for more than 20 minutes at a time!

As for the original post, strategies for deflecting are really useful, but there's also the underlying feeling of isolation when you have to do that. When I got this mid-year kindergarten admission for Hanni, I was really surprised at how my nearest and dearest, who KNOW what she'd like, said things like "She can always do kindergarten over again next year, right?" and "Don't let her get too far ahead." I quickly adopted the line that it's a really good thing that this school does mixed age groups, so that it won't be weird next year. That seems to calm people down. I let them assume that next year she'll be in the K-1 group again, when in fact it's more likely she'll be with the 1st-2nd group. It works, but meanwhile there's this wall between me and them.

I think whenever we as parents do something that is outside the norm, we question ourselves. And that is perfectly normal. I doubt there are easy answers to the question of whether we are doing too much or not enough, but the fact that you are asking the question is the most important, because that means you care t monitor the situation.

As for monitoring academic readiness, that is somewhat easier as you can see by ongoing test scores and the work coming home if the level is closer to appropriate. If the school does testing like NWEA MAP testing, which goes above level, you can see where your kiddo falls among kids in higher grades.

Social readiness is sometimes a leap of faith, because you don't know until you do it. but if the school has come up with this plan, it's a good sign that they think he's ready.

When our kiddo started skipping/changing schools, we made a point to make playdates with the friends from the earlier grades. DS8's best friends are agemates (one in a grade below and one who is also a grade skipper). I recommend keeping in touch with old friends, though he will make new ones too. With luck, your DS will get along with some of the kids in 3rd after the break, and going to 4th won't be an issue because he'll know the kids already.

As for what to tell other parents, we found that the ones who knew our kiddo were very supportive, and the ones who didn't really know him were satisfied with "The school decided it was best for him since he already completed the requirements in the lower grade." That stopped the questions, anyway. We also added that we felt lucky that our DS still got to see his other friends in afterschool activities like scouts, YMCA camp, etc.

Good luck!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by boysmom77
    I realize that this is likely the "million dollar question" . . . but I'm asking it anyway, because I have been trying to formulate my thoughts and they keep coming back to this.

How do you know? How do you know how hard or far to "push" . . . how do you know how to maximize opportunity, while protecting childhood and age-mate friendships?

Our 2nd grade son will be accelerating into 3rd grade reading and math classes after winter break. It was suggested that the potential for him to go into 4th grade next fall, potentially doing 5th grade reading and math after THAT winter break, is a very real option. He'd then go into 6th grade in what would normally be his 4th grade year, however that would put him into our local middle school project which allows for easier acceleration and isn't as tied to "grades / age-level" like our elementary schools are.

So . . . with this comes all of the feelings of uncertainty, excitement, hope, you know the drill. Transitions and change have long been difficult for him, however he is excited about going into 3rd grade classes for the challenge . . . even though we know it won't be a challenge since he actually performs at a much higher level, like most of the kiddos here I'm guessing.

My other challenge is other adults. I realize this is MY challenge, or OUR challenge (but the hubs doesn't let things like this really register on his radar, and I am a teacher, so I hear it / feel it more). I hate feeling like I'm "bragging" whenever I ask for the thoughts of others on his progress and the decisions that we're facing. I hate the "don't you worry about him not being with his same-age peers" comments when we talk about acceleration.

I mean . . . yes, we do think about those things, but I've also read enough research and done enough thinking to realize that keeping with him kids his age purely for being with kids his age is the most ridiculous thing we can do. How

I guess I'm just new to this and looking for thoughts / support / advice . . .

I don't need to please other people or have them agree with me . . . but it is just another element in all of this. We do have wonderful support in our school, and I've been put in touch with a couple of local parents who will no doubt be great resources for us . . . but but but! smile

So much to think about. In short . . . how do you help your kiddos adjust to acceleration changes? How do you politely tell adults who think they know what is best for them to buzz off unless they put the time into knowing your child and the research? wink How do you know how far to push / encourage your child while keeping the love of learning? Are baby steps a valid option even though it doesn't necessarily reach him at his level?

We did a grade-skip with our daughter this past year -- skipping 3rd grade so she's in 4th grade now. I'm also a teacher, so I understand how you feel when it comes to being surrounded by other people all day long who "understand" education and honestly ARE "experts" in education and the unsolicited opinions you may get. Honestly, though, we have had to deal with those attitudes from other adults MUCH less than I'd thought we would. For one thing, I try very hard to not bring it up. I honestly think about half of my colleagues -- who have known me for a long time -- don't even realize that my DD9 skipped a grade! They just know that she's in 4th grade, and I think they assume that they're just confused and don't want to admit to me that they don't know what grade she's supposed to be in, so they play along and pretend like they've known all along that she's supposed to be in 4th grade this year. grin I have to fight the urge at times to "explain" our decision when no one has actually even questioned it, just because I feel defensive and assume that people are getting ready to ask about it. So, if people don't specifically ask about the grade skip, I don't say anything about it. The few times that people have asked something specific about it, I just usually say, "Well, it was just the best decision for all of us to make at the time and she's doing great!" and they very rarely ask any "follow-up" questions.

I sometimes have to "justify" it to myself in my own mind when I second-guess myself by remembering that we were not making the decision between having a "normal" 3rd grader this year and a "too-young" 4th grader this year. For our daughter -- just like for most of the kids we discuss on this forum -- "normal" hasn't been an option for a LONG time!!! We didn't push her to do something she wasn't ready for, we just refused to keep holding her back just because of her birthdate. It was a terrific decision and we have a happy 4th grader with plenty of friends who is still making straight As, but is learning something every day and having to put some effort into those grades.

If I were you, I would take everything one step at a time. Don't commit to 6th-grade-as-a-4th-grader for him now. Just take the next step...and let him "wear that" for a bit to see how it feels. I really believe that you'll know when you've reached the "sweet spot." For us, I think DD9 would be fine academically if we skipped her another grade, but that really isn't on my radar right now because I feel like she's doing great where she is. If things stop feeling so great in another year or two, we may re-evaluate and move another step. I think baby steps are absolutely fine unless you're confident that giant steps will be best. I think the thing to realize is that you're not going to find the "perfect" fit for him -- you're just trying to find the balance that best meets his academic, social, physical, and emotional needs. I feel like we'd tip the academic scales too much one way if we had kept our daughter with her same-age peers...but I currently feel like we'd tip the emotional and social skills too much the other way if we'd accelerate her by a second grade level even if that would be an even-better academic fit...so this is her best fit for now.

One thing we've done to help my daughter adjust is to let her keep some "power" in terms of making decisions about whether or not she wants to accelerate a grade level in sports teams (some are age-based, but some are grade-based)...in summer camp...in church...etc. Mom and Dad get to make the school decisions, but the others are up to her (and she's elected to stay with same-age peers so far, though I anticipate her to change in another couple of years). We've also talked a lot along the way about the purpose of school and that school needs to be a place where you learn new things. Without the grade skip, she wasn't learning new things and she knew that. This mindset has also helped her handle some frustration along the way -- I don't understand this certain concept right now, but it's okay because I'm supposed to be learning new things in school.

So, anyway, hope that helps some. I thing you just take it a step at a time if that's what you're comfortable with doing. You know your kid, and you know that you're doing all of this FOR him and not TO him. I think the other adults may be easier to handle than you assume. Best of luck with all of your decisions!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM