Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by kaibab
    Test results don't transfer. Duke offers Explore only for 5th and 6th graders. You sign up in 4th/5th, but test in 5th/6th, so it's not even for 4th graders.

It may be possible to test locally with a different talent search. If the test is being offered locally, you may be able to take it there with a different search. My child took Explore with CMITEs in 3rd in a room full of 5th and 6th graders taking it with Duke TIP.

Duke TIP Explore testing starts at 4th grade. My DD8 (4th grader) is taking next month. I believe NUMATs starts at 3rd grade. SCAT for John Hopkins CTY starts at 2nd grade. My DD8 took it when she was in 2nd grade. But most of the summer programs are offered in Northeast and California. CTY online offering is excellent though.

Q
    Q
    Both DS and DD took the Explore last year as 3rd graders. They were both fine. The actual test is only two hours (1/2 hour each for 4 sections), but you have to add time waiting for everyone, filling out the personal info, doing the few practice questions and a break in the middle. DS finished with a lot of left over time in each section, while DD didn't have enough time to finish any of the sections. It wasn't that stressful for either of them, but they do not have anxiety issues in general.

C
    C
    Our DS8 is going to be taking the Explorer test in Feb. .... the teacher feels confident about his ability but wants to take a month to go one on one and work with him like the public schools do to make sure there are not gaps.

I will let you know how it goes.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    Originally Posted by Cawdor
    Our DS8 is going to be taking the Explorer test in Feb. .... the teacher feels confident about his ability but wants to take a month to go one on one and work with him like the public schools do to make sure there are not gaps..

I'm not sure that this is a test that should be prepped for, beyond doing the practice test so your kiddo is prepared for the type of test. The point of the test is to challenge kids who don't normally get challenge. it is not tied to school's curriculum such that you want to get rid of gaps so a child can get into a class he is ready for.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    Our DS8 is going to be taking the Explorer test in Feb. .... the teacher feels confident about his ability but wants to take a month to go one on one and work with him like the public schools do to make sure there are not gaps..

I'm not sure that this is a test that should be prepped for, beyond doing the practice test so your kiddo is prepared for the type of test. The point of the test is to challenge kids who don't normally get challenge. it is not tied to school's curriculum such that you want to get rid of gaps so a child can get into a class he is ready for.

I will respectfully disagree. Since this is a "state" test and something that goes on record, then it behooves me to ensure my child is ready. Epecially since he is in 8th grade as opposed to 3rd grade.

Last edited by Cawdor; 12/30/12 12:29 PM.

DS9 - Starting 9th grade
    DS7 - Starting 5th grade
    Originally Posted by st pauli girl

I will respectfully disagree. Since this is a "state" test and something that goes on record, then it behooves me to ensure my child is ready. Epecially since he is in 8th grade as opposed to 3rd grade.

Oh, sorry. As for taking it in 3rd grade, I had never heard of the Explore test being a state test or of being on any child's record, unless requested by the parent. And i didnt notice the part about your child being in 8th grade. I was misled by the title of this thread perhaps.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 12/30/12 01:46 PM.
    I don't think EXPLORE test is officially a state test. But some high schools may require the score report to screen the incoming 8th graders for honor classes.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by erich
    I don't think EXPLORE test is officially a state test. But some high schools may require the score report to screen the incoming 8th graders for honor classes.

Veering a bit OT for a moment, but fwiw, the EXPLORE is given to all 8th graders in our school district, but as erich mentions, it's not an official "state" test, and it's not administered for class placement purposes or for measuring student or school performance etc. Instead it's used to give 8th graders a measure of strengths and weaknesses that they can use in planning their high school academics (with an eye toward college admissions and success in college). With that goal, there isn't any prep given to students in school, other than letting them know what the test format is etc.

polarbear

M
    M
    My son took it last year in 3rd grade.
    It is a just part of the bigger picture.
    He did great and had no problems.
    I did get him a calculator and had him check his homework and use it on the sample test so he would be used to it.

He will not be taking it this year. I feel he is way over tested recently.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM