Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 194 guests, and 41 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #144509 12/13/12 04:23 PM
    W'sMama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It looks like I might have the opportunity to present a proposal to DD's charter school to offer some kind of homeschool enrichment program. I've found a couple dozen in CO and across the country that I could look at as a model, but I'd love to get input from members of this board as well.

If you are mostly homeschooling (or thinking about it) and want to make use of a public enrichment program, what do you think would be the ideal setup? What kind of classes would be offered? How would students be grouped for these classes?

I was thinking it would be great to have a class that teaches the creative process through projects of some kind, but what could that look like?

Most of the programs I've seen are one day a week, but some are a day and a half or two days. Most don't meet on the campus of the school that runs the program, but this might be an option. The school in question has a couple of rooms that are sometimes available as well as science labs.

I'd love to hear any and all ideas!

W'sMama Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Last year, when we homeschooled, we went out for a science lab class once per week as well as drama. Next year when we homeschool, we'll be doing orchestra, foreign language, writing club. (This year we are not homeschooling)

So one year of not homeschooling in between? Why is that?

P
    P
    I don't know how you'd set it up, but I've always thought it would be interesting to do something with kids and this book: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Big-Minds-Marietta-McCarty/dp/B0014E92N2. The book is comprised of chapters each based on a philosopher or philosopy. I can't remember all of them but it includes Plato, Aristotle, John Locke, and Rene DesCarte. I've tried to get my son to read it with me and he refuses.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    S
    S
    If they are there for a whole day you could throw in a homeschool PE class or homeschool recess where they have outside time to run around either recess like free play or PE like organized (or some combination of the two) because they will need the movement time.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    S
    S
    You could have special interest classes like if a group of kids are nuts about mythology you could have a class in that and study for the national mythology exam. Same thing about Latin.

Or some other cool classes on special interest topics.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    K
    K

Originally Posted by petunia
    I don't know how you'd set it up, but I've always thought it would be interesting to do something with kids and this book: http://www.amazon.com/Little-Big-Minds-Marietta-McCarty/dp/B0014E92N2. The book is comprised of chapters each based on a philosopher or philosopy. I can't remember all of them but it includes Plato, Aristotle, John Locke, and Rene DesCarte. I've tried to get my son to read it with me and he refuses.

This looks like an amazing book, thank you for the recommendation. I just put it on hold at the Library and can't wait to read it when it comes in.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs