Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #144128 12/06/12 03:28 PM
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    In an unexpected show of support and recognition of needs, DS's first grade teacher and OT want him to learn typing (ahem keyboarding, not sure when it stopped being typing smirk ) We figured we would have to fight for this to be part of his IEP closer to 3rd, the fact that they suggested it and will start having him do a balance of written and typed work is just awesome. Im still so surprised it was a suggestion rather than us having to fight!

So they want to use the ipad and a keyboard which is great because we have that at home. Seems like there are great teaching typing software products for macs but we want to find a typing app for the ipad but which allows an external keyboard not just the ipad touch keyboard. OT really wants him feeling the keys.

Any suggestions for either app or software, especially for ones that are not timed. the free online timed ones we tried freaked him out as they sped up.

DeHe

DeHe #144131 12/06/12 04:29 PM
    J
    J
    I got Nessie Fingers- a suggestion from this chat site. My kids absolutely love it! It's from the UK. Easy to use, fun, helps them practice.

DeHe #144132 12/06/12 04:33 PM
    M
    M
    DeHe we have been using typing club. It's very basic but my kids have actually chosen that. There is some degree of timing involved in that the more advanced you get the more there are time goals involved in progressing to further levels. However this is very discreet early on. My DD could not handle the timed aspect of timez attack but is not phased by this at all. Well, she did get antsy when she reached the point of levels being for speeds like 30+ WPM rather than for new keys, but that was WELL into the process. My younger 6yr old (grade 1) girl is nowhere near any overt time issues like that.

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks JM and MOT

Both actually look great. Nessie fingers would be only for the computer, typing club seemed like it would work on the iPad. It got the keyboard correctly identified but it wasn't recognizing it, but I think it would work well on a regular computer if I can't figure out what's wrong for the iPad.

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM