Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 28 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Who even knew there was such a thing. In doing some research to try to find help for my son, I was surprised to find amidst all of the other departments listed on the school website, a tiny little department called Twice Exceptional. After one of the more trying experiences that I had at school regarding teachers misunderstanding my son's behavior, I sent an e-mail to this department asking if there was any possibility of having him reconsidered for gifted. I explained the family history his own history and why it was that I felt very important for him to be moved to gifted, rather than just having to deal with his exceptionalities in a regular ed classroom.

After several e-mails back and forth, I finally had a meeting with the head diagnostician for our school district and the coordinator for the twice exceptional department on Friday. It couldn't have gone better. They not only have said that we should accelerate the testing that he needs to have done, they have said that I have every right to demand that he be given more challenging work in a regular Ed classroom since he is already on an IEP. The coordinator has said she will reach out to the school's principal to let him know that they are now working with my son to make sure that he has appropriate education.

The most encouraging part of the meeting is that the diagnostician immediately was able to see within the testing that has already been done where there were some really high spikes in the scores, and it gave him some good guidance on where to test my son next. He is going to be the one who coordinates what IQ testing is done in hopes of finally being able to capture some of what is actually going on inside my son's head. He said that while it is rare to see a child like my son even in as large of a district as we are, that in his own experience because of having a twice exceptional department within our district, that he has some very good background in understanding what tests might work best and that we can even use portions of tests if we can't get a full battery to come out okay on him.

I cannot be more encouraged, and it feels like a weight has been lifted. Now I'm sure that there is still a lot of struggle and battle ahead, especially as his behavioral traits seem to be more pronounced as he gets older. But just the thought of having a department that actually gets my son and understands what I'm trying to say… I cannot begin to express how much of a relief that is..

P
    P
    Wow! I am so happy for you! Your job probably just became much more manageable. Albuquerque is supposed to be on the leading edge of 2E stuff so based on your moniker I guess I shouldn't be too surprised you found this gem. Keep us posted on the progress. I spoke to the coordinator of the 2E program in Montgomery County Maryland when our journey began and it was just so great to know that there was someone - in a public school setting - that really gets it. I just wish more districts had this kind of resource. Congratulations!!!!!

M
    M
    Wow! It's hard to imagine such a department exists. I was expecting a sympathetic joke type thread...

Z
    Z
    Wow, that's really cool, my DS~7 had a couple of 2e pre-school friends when we were in ABQ. I'll pass this along in case they weren't aware. Thanks.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I'd known for a long time we had an elementary school program but thought it was stand-alone. I had no idea that they would work with you for your child in their current school placement. If you need specific info, Zen, let me know,

P
    P
    Wow! Very cool Lisa smile

polarbear

C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    this fantastic!
    good for you, for finding this dept! i'm in a huge schl district (#2 in country i think! and NO 2E dept!)
    so happy you found someone willing to work with your son and make sure he is where he needs to be!
    good job smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs