Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 115 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #143818 12/02/12 12:28 PM
    OP Offline
    I read about the online program reading eggs at one point. I bought two years of subscriptions and my second year runs out in Feb., but I'm hoping my son will finish the spelling lessons by then. I like how they teach the spelling lessons (in the skills bank icon). It starts off by asking them to type, copy the spelling word directly under the word. Several lessons later it tells them to copy the word. Then it erases the word they typed and has them type it on another line lower down. (somewhere I read that copy work evolves from copying directly under the word to copying from further away, like on the board, like that's a step). Then in later lessons it shows the word they want them to spell and the computer says the word out loud and then an ocean wave erases the word and they have to type it from memory. It's mostly 3 letter phonetic words pup, cup, but also four letter words and sight words like come. It reminded me of the modern preferred balanced approach between phonics and sight words.
    I also remembered the balanced approach because I just started my two year old on it and lessons 1 & 2 teach a letter each, but lesson 3 is about the word am. I'm showing her the lessons and asking her to point to the answer while I work the mouse. Some lessons she doesn't know, and those I answer and I explain them to like I'm giving her a lesson. Then we also use the playroom so she can learn to work a mouse to string the beads and also to use the stamp pad. She's getting pretty good with the mouse (laptop touchpad).
    I have always loved the nursery rhymes on the bookshelf in the playroom. My kids know and love almost all of them. It has Humpty Dumpty, Row Row Your Boat, Hickory Dickory Dock, Twinkle Twinkle, and all the good ones.

Just posting here in pre-k because in case somebody else with little kids might want to hear about it and know that I think it's a good program.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    M
    M
    We found reading eggs a great tool for my 2nd child, though we didn't utilise the spelling aspect enough. I have a membership for my 3rd but I find we don't use it much at all as it's unusable on the iPad and it just doesn't work well for us having DD tell me what to do with the mouse. This is the price of the iPad - she's really very skilled at what she can do with the iPad but her mouse skills are way behind my other kids at 2.5yrs, despite the fact that she is more advanced in most other ways...

I
    I
    Just tried it last night. It was pretty cool. My 24 month old can't use a mouse at all, so we have to point. She didn't like all the repetition. I gave her the test at the beginning and they started us off at reading age 4.75 (highly doubtful.)
    She knows all her letter and letter sounds, but she doesn't want to find V 10 times in a row. She also pointed out quite a few sight words correctly in the test, but I think it was a coincidence... maybe.

She's getting a LeapPad2 for Christmas, so maybe that'll work for her.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent