Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Hey all! I haven't been on here in years so DD is no longer in the 7th/8th grade and is now in the 11th. Now it looks like we might have to move to the San Diego area for her 12th grade year. I know several people on this forum are in the SD area, so I was wondering if you knew of any good public High Schools, especially for gifted students.
    DH's probable job location is pretty far north- in the Sorrento Valley area. I don't know if that's a nice area, so we might live somewhere else and have a bit of a job commute if necessary for a safer/nicer neighborhood and school.

I'm assuming that all Gifted Programs are ended by the 12th grade - our district cuts off at 8th. Even so, we are looking for a school with plenty of AP options, good teachers, etc.

This isn't definite, of course, but it is good to look into it early and be sure we make a good decision..

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Torrey Pines High School has lots of AP courses and has a good reputation. I don't know anything more than that though.

S
    S
    TP has some amazing AP courses (Bev in the English dept really makes honors "qualitatively different" for the kids. It's a huge school but challenging. Canyon Crest has many wonderful teachers and plenty of AP, plus all kinds of special programs like robotics, video stuff, art, theater, all at truly amazing levels. They do a choice night in the district in maybe spring where you can get the pitch from each school, but you should be able to call and get the scoop too. Sorrento Valley (and all the residential areas right by it, like Del Mar Heights, Carmel Valley, etc, are VERY nice, I liked living there/spending time there, but if you end up farther north, there's San Dieguito Academy, which is quirky and cool, and La Costa Canyon, which definitely has AP but I personally found the kids felt it was mostly sports-focused. Those are the four big public (the academies are lotteries but not crazy hard) high schools in that district. There are definitely gifted kids here and while the AP classes are packed with kids who just want to try hard and care about school (or whose parents are pushing them hard--some stressed out tenth grade world AP kids I've seen!) even if its not their favorite/strongest area, there are plenty of truly talented/gifted kids in each, too, in my experience. So many wonderful teachers and kids and programs! If my kindy girl were in high school right now, I'd send her to one of the academies, but it all depends on the kid, and the specific programs etc.

J
    J
    you need to check out CCA!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM