Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #143297 11/23/12 10:43 PM
    Q
    qxp Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Q
    Just wanted to ask this here but it may be appropriate in another forum.

How does the Young Scholars program react to 2E kids? I have a son who is pretty clearly 2E from the testing (tests above the Young Scholars threshold on WISC !V and achievement) but looking deeper into subtests, it is probably pretty clear that he is dyslexic. How does the program react to those like this? Do they accept these children? Any advice on applying?

C
    C
    I understand from others that 2e kids are welcome and accepted within DYS, but they do still need to hit the minimum qualifying scores. It sounds like your ds would meet that requirement. I'd definitely apply if you think that the program would help your family.

The only thing I've found a bit more difficult in dealing with my own 2e kid and applications for programs, is the letter of support from a teacher or other. For instance, when she applied for Yunasa summer camp last summer, I was hard pressed to find a teacher to write a letter saying that she is highly gifted even though her IQ scores are 99th-99.9th depending on the test. Her teachers generally recognize the high achievers with their hands in the air as the HG kids even if they have more average IQ scores more so than the social chameleons with 2e issues.

If that's an issue for you as well, you can always go with someone other than a teacher to write your ds' letter of support. The fact that he's above the minimum IQ & achievement requirements would probably make his odds pretty good if I were to guess.

E
    E
    My daughter is dysgraphic, and she still got in by hitting the qualifying scores.

M
    M
    Hi. My 7yr old DD is a 2e DYS. 2e kids are definitely welcome in the Young Scholars program. Like Cricket said 2e kids do still have to hit the minimum qualifying scores. We also had the issue with having a teacher write the recommendation letter. They didn't even want to recommend her for the district gifted program! The recommendation letter problem was solved thanks to a good friend who knows my DD well and happens to have her PhD in Education. I've found the advocacy that the DYS program provides very useful.

Hi
    My 6.5 DS is a DYS and 2e for writing - we had WISC scores but also did a portfolio to apply. So we included more videos of him talking and doing stuff than handwritten work. Where it was handwritten, I provided a written translation since his issue is spacing. And in one instance his teacher had provided his work to be traced so it would be legible to be hung up so I just explained that.

It didn't seem like it held anything up or changed his consideration and we were not asked to provide anything additional.

DeHe

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM