Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    There are also three separate levels of MAP tests and a kid scoring at or near 240 on the 2-5th grade test, should bump up and take the 6+ test. In theory, the test continues but it's clear looking at the Descartes reports that the level of difficulty on the 6+ test is dramatically different than that on the 2-5th grade test. The continuum doesn't truly continue from test to test, though the RIT score is continuous. The continuous RIT score makes it easier for teachers and schools to compare the data.

This is very interesting. I know that my son took the 6+ test at the beginning of last year in math and received a 240. He also received a 234 in reading but I don't know what level test he took. Then, even though I know he made quite a bit of progress in reading and math (he was homeschooled so I could see the actual progress; also his ITBS scores were through the roof on a test three grades up), his math score only went up by two points and the reading score went down by three points. I wonder if they gave him the 2-5 test by mistake. Is there any way to find out?

S
    S
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    I've done many hours of research and while the top of the MAP score is 320, the individual subtest areas seem to ceiling around 260. There are still questions to answer after 260, but they are limited.

There are also three separate levels of MAP tests and a kid scoring at or near 240 on the 2-5th grade test, should bump up and take the 6+ test. In theory, the test continues but it's clear looking at the Descartes reports that the level of difficulty on the 6+ test is dramatically different than that on the 2-5th grade test. The continuum doesn't truly continue from test to test, though the RIT score is continuous. The continuous RIT score makes it easier for teachers and schools to compare the data.

When looking at percentile, I like to also look for what grade my child is performing at 95th percentile or above. NWEA uses 95th percentile+ for "gifted". If you have a situation where your child is 95th percentile for the next grade level up, in all subjects, it might be worth a conversation about a grade skip.

Hmmm... is there a link where I can read more about the fact that there are three grade-level group versions? This is not obvious from the RIT-to-percentile conversion charts. If my son's RIT was 253 for fall of 4th grade (presumably on the 2-5th gr test), should I ask for the next level MAP test when the school does its next round of testing in January?

Last edited by snowgirl; 11/20/12 10:42 AM.
    C
    C
    You have to piece together a lot of different information, or just ask your school. NWEA is pretty guarded on releasing the information.

You can see from the parent toolkit that there is a MAP for Primary Grades (generally K-2, though some schools use K-1) which has a lot of the test reading questions to the student. You can also see from the toolkit that the test says students move up to about 260 in high school.

http://www.nwea.org/support/article/930

Then if you keep reading, you'll find snippets where they discuss MAP 6+ like in this article about the integrated math assessments: http://www.nwea.org/support/article/916

And if you keep digging and digging, you'll get to this "familiarization of tests" article- which seems to be the only place the actual existence of two tests is mentioned!
    http://www.nwea.org/support/article/familiarization-tests

You can find plenty of unofficial NWEA information out there on the two levels- including things like this: http://www.fortheteachers.org/curriculum_ladders_math.htm

Last edited by CAMom; 11/20/12 11:19 AM.
    S
    S
    Thank you, CAMom! That helps!

P
    P
    Yup we are new to the testing world. My daughter who is also in 3rd grade is in the 99 % . The school suggested we do the NUMATS test. We registered her but cannot find any test preparation material.

If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it.
    Thanks

M
    M
    Hey Guys - was reading your posts regarding MAP testing. Excellent subject. I am a big fan of MAP testing for gifted due to its very high test ceiling. The RIT ceiling is around 320, which is approx. a grade 14.
    The only difference between the Math 2-5 and the Math 6+ is the starting point for questions. But once the student answers the questions correctly, the test quickly adapts to their level and the ceiling for math 2-5 is quickly lifted.
    If I could figure out how to make an attachment, I would show you my favorite quick table for showing the range of RIT levels per each grade level and the mean for each grade.
    My favorite part is the Decartes continuum which trasnlates those RIT numbers into the objectives the student is ready to learn. I design Individual Academic Plans from those objectives in Decartes.
    If you have any questions - or would like to talk about your childs particular numbers. This is what I do. smile
    I am the only independent consulatant, licensed to use MAP from NWEA.
    I would love to talk with anyone about MAP and how awesome an assessment it is for monitoring academic growth in gifted learners. smile

Feel free to email
    mcesarano@highpotentialeducation.com

Originally Posted by puchani
    Yup we are new to the testing world. My daughter who is also in 3rd grade is in the 99 % . The school suggested we do the NUMATS test. We registered her but cannot find any test preparation material.

If anyone has any suggestions I appreciate it.
    Thanks

The NUMATS site says that there are practice materials on the Toolbox and also they will mail the materials to you when you sign up. http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/numats/registrantinfo/

C
    C
    Mcesarano-

If that's true that the only difference between Math 2-5 and Math 6+ is the starting point of the questions, then why does the Descartes report look completely different depending on the test, but with the same RIT score? This is my big puzzle and what has led me to the conclusion that the access to the questions is actually different. The goals, the titles on the Descartes reports and the "ready to learn next" is different, even with the same RIT score.

L
    L
    CAMom, that makes sense if they assume that in elementary school you are focusing on K-5 curriculum. I imagine most 4th grade teachers would be put out to be told their student had goals only in the middle school curriculum and would rather know about relative weaknesses in the material they are prepared to teach.

C
    C
    But LJoy- it's blank. As in "there is nothing more your child is ready to learn". Especially in the 240+ range...

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM