Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 183 guests, and 109 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    OP Offline
    A
    Hi Polly

I know exactly what you are saying. I am a Senior Manager in a government department, and two of my most recent Directors would definitely meet the criteria for ADHD. Interestingly, their impulsivity, and inability to sit still, etc are characteristics that are really needed in their roles. If they surround themselves with those who are more focused on details, can plan for the future, etc, then they are often quite successful in their role.

I am keen to give Ritalin a good go, and then in the future see if we can reduce it. I would really like to manage his overexcitability through more natural ways. I know a very successful doctor who admitted to me that he uses Diet Coke to manage his attention and concentration difficulties. He would have litres of it per day! Seems to work well for him (mind you, I havent had an opportunity to look closely at his teeth!).

MumOfThree - I have wondered about the RPA elimination diet. We tried Sue Dengates 'Fed Up' diet, but little change. My son has a range of intolereance (soy, dairy, egg, gluten, lentils, peas, oats), and we have followed a very strict diet for 2 years. I might have a look at the RP diet. Thanks for that suggestion

M
    M
    Astroboy if you've got known food issues there might not be more to find, but my advice is if you are going to do the RPA diet then bite the bullet and go all out from the start - their "strict" option plus dairy and gluten (which is already out I see). They have plans in their book for eliminatig all of these at once. Dairy should be the first on you try to get back, then salicylates, then amines, then the various smaller chemicals. You really want to find a dietician who knows the diet well. If you are in Adelaide or Sydney send me a message and I can suggest dieticians.

M
    M
    It's also worth considering fructose and other sugars as a potential issue, which are not covered by the RPA or fed up diets. You can get breath tests for sugar absorption issues (fructose, sucrose and lactose).

A
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks for the info. Most appreciated

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM