Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 303 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    S
    stotte Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Dude that is interesting and I understand the mathematical reasoning for what you are saying. How would you tell a child who did well on the test because they are truly that gifted from a anomaly.

My guess is you don't other than observation, time, or additional testing?

My son has traits like the early speech, started reading at 2, learned all the states and capitols by four which includes by shape of state, plus can map most of the world and now it's the solar system he has switched to.

However he seems to jump around from interest to interest. It's not like he is reading Les Miserables or calculating super advanced math problems in his head. He just seems to really get stuff and master it after a very short time.

So I am curious the accuracy of a score like his.

J
    J
    We didn't advance him a grade- I think for many such kids, you trade the academic problems of not grade-skipping for the social problems of grade-skipping.
    He is qualified for our full-time gifted program, which starts in 4th grade (he's in second grade). They keep talking about cutting it but hopefully they won't! Our older boy is in it now and it's grade-accelerated by a year. We just have him do little workbooks at home and he's happy with that. He's very social and sweet and he doesn't seem to care if he "learns" things in school that he already knew!

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by stotte
    However he seems to jump around from interest to interest. It's not like he is reading Les Miserables or calculating super advanced math problems in his head. He just seems to really get stuff and master it after a very short time.

There seems to be a split orientation where some gifted kids are more depth focused and some are more breadth unfocused. That curiousity and wide range of interests combined with the ability to pick up new things quickly is not a "normal" kid trait. Particularly not in the extreme like my DS6 (and myself) and sounds like yours may be.

S
    stotte Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Dude I enjoyed your post on the New York Times article. A part of me wishes we lived in a area where test scores do allow for such a good education as the free gifted schools there. As I think he would successfully test into one. I think is a broken system there however.

Do you have advice from your experience. Did you grade skip your child? Have you joined the DYS?

Dude that is interesting and I understand the mathematical reasoning for what you are saying. How would you tell a child who did well on the test because they are truly that gifted from a anomaly.

My guess is you don't other than observation, time, or additional testing?

My son has traits like the early speech, started reading at 2, learned all the states and capitols by four which includes by shape of state, plus can map most of the world and now it's the solar system he has switched to.

I'd say with the scores you've reported, along with the personal observation, the question of whether or not he's gifted has been authoritatively answered. The RIAS does tend to correlate fairly well with other test scores, it's just that where it tends to err, it tends to err in the ways I've described. The tool is what it is, which is a quick way to assess children who may or may not be good candidates for intervention.

He hit the ceiling at 160+, but maybe the score was skewed a full standard deviation too high, and he's really in the 145 range. That's still in the Highly Gifted range, and that's probably the lowest-case scenario. The probability that the score was skewed more than 2 SDs too high, and he's below the 130 threshold commonly accepted as gifted, is ridiculously low.

The question now is, do you have the information you need? If you need access to DYS, and DYS doesn't accept the RIAS (I haven't checked), then a more thorough test tool would be called for. Further testing might also be called for if you have any reason to suspect a learning disability, or if you're just plain confused with his learning styles, which more specific testing can help identify.

In my case, my DD took the RIAS and scored a 135, which was right in line with my expectations. That would not make her DYS-eligible, but made her fully eligible for gifted services at her school, so no further testing is needed there. And since her brain works pretty much the same way mine does, I don't really need any new insights into that. We have no reason to suspect any LDs. So that's pretty much it for testing, we got all the info we needed.

Dude I enjoyed your post on the New York Times article. A part of me wishes we lived in a area where test scores do allow for such a good education as the free gifted schools there. As I think he would successfully test into one. I think is a broken system there however.

Do you have advice from your experience. Did you grade skip your child? Have you joined the DYS?

As I say often, individual results will vary. In our case we pushed HARD for a grade skip, but we were stonewalled by an inflexible school district (yes, we took it all the way there), who has never skipped a child despite having a policy clearly spelling a skipping process out. As a result, our DD is homeschooling, and she's registered as a homeschooler at the appropriate grade level. In other words, she was in a 2nd grade class in public school, and we registered her as a 3rd grader for homeschool purposes. She moves pretty much at her own pace, and if she's being held back at all, it's because she's moving so quickly that we really don't see the need to keep her at an inordinate number of hours. She has a short school day and a lot of vacations.

Eventually, we expect to return her to public school, where we expect the grade skip will stick. We've actually met a parent already who homeschooled her child a year ahead for K, and when she went to register her for public school as a 1st grader, the school accepted her, despite the fact that this directly conflicts with the written district policy for accepting K and 1st grade students.

Honestly, I wonder why they bother writing and publishing policies in the first place.

That's our story. We'd have made any number of different choices if some of the many variables involved had been different, though, which is why I qualify any advice based on individual experiences. Here's a sample list of some variable changes that would likely have led us to a different outcome:

- If the district was more open to grade skipping.
    - If the in-grade-level-class differentiation the school touted so much actually happened.
    - If the daily shuttling between a GT class and a grade level class didn't create a chaotic mess of a learning environment.
    - If the district had a magnet GT school where DD could be in a GT class all day.
    - If a private GT school were an option in my area.
    - If DW had to work, and homeschooling was not an option.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM