Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #142573 11/09/12 06:27 PM
    A
    agj Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We live in north county san diego. I would love to talk to some local families about which educational paths and / or schools that work for your family. I loved our school but it has gone through some changes and it has left me at a loss. The kids are currently in flexible grouping dd (who turns 8 at the end of month) is in 3rd and goes to 4th for language arts (and it has been recommended he be advanced to 4th fulltime) and my ds is in 5th and goes to 6th or language arts. When I met with our local public school, the attitude was that they don't need to do anything extra for gifted kids and that no one at their school has ever complained of being bored! Plus, due to their ages the school was recommending putting them in 2nd and 4th. so starting to look at alternatives.
    Ugh so frustrating. I would love to talk to local families in the area to see what schools and solutions you have come up with. We have also been working with a tutor for enrichment. She is very well versed in gifted curriculum and teaches a master's in ed class for gifted certification. I am looking to putting together a gifted learning group run by the teacher. Basically a teacher led group that would focus on one topic for several weeks at a time. For example, political unit of of study. Kids would put math, language arts, history, debate, technology all under the basic theme. Cross disciplinary so to speak. They would have independent studies as well. We did some of this over the summer and the kids ate it up! We did ancient greece, read the odyssey, studied mythology and the olympics, latin words and culminating with a greek myth they wrote and performed as a play. They couldn't get enough. I would love to get a group together to do something like this. The tutor is on board! I think it would so great to get a group together of like minds for exciting learning projects and intellectual discussions if anyone in the area has any interest, please please please let's talk and try to make it work!
    agjarrell@sbcglobal.net

agj #142629 11/11/12 12:08 PM
    M
    M
    I'm in San Diego but my son is still quite young (almost 4). So, I can't offer much help but would love to learn from others. Do keep me in the loop.

agj #142866 11/15/12 08:17 AM
    S
    S
    Sounds pretty interesting. How far north county are you? I have a DS9 who would probably enjoy something like this. He's just not big on longer car rides. I see that you have a good amount of interest from the yahoo group.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    agj #143042 11/18/12 05:48 PM
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by agj
    I loved our school but it has gone through some changes and it has left me at a loss. The kids are currently in flexible grouping dd (who turns 8 at the end of month) is in 3rd and goes to 4th for language arts (and it has been recommended he be advanced to 4th fulltime) and my ds is in 5th and goes to 6th or language arts.

AGJ,
    What exactly is it that you don't like about the changes at your current school?

agj #143052 11/18/12 08:06 PM
    S
    S
    AJC, I'm curious -- you also posted about a new school and now something about either a school or enrichment classes? Guessing the school isn't happening right now? Just looking for some clarification. Thanks

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    Sleepless #145246 01/02/13 11:53 AM
    A
    agj Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I am finally getting back to checking this. too many things have me overwhelmed! Sleepless if you still want to know more send me a PM

agj #145247 01/02/13 11:54 AM
    A
    agj Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I was hoping to inspire some people to get a school or enrichment classes started. It hasn't moved very fast. Maybe we need a group of motivated parents!

agj #146058 01/13/13 05:47 PM
    M
    M
    Hi San Diego folks. I just came across Balboa City School, which states that its mission is as follows:

"Balboa City School (BCS) is an international college preparatory program. Our mission is to inspire bright/gifted students who desire intellectual stimulation, academic progress and creative avenues of expression. Our focus on academics and theme-based activities in school is meant to motivate students toward individual and group achievement. We seek to engage students in internships and other activities outside of the classroom at school and in the community."

Anybody know anything about this school? It's K-12. Thanks!

agj #146331 01/16/13 11:38 AM
    G
    G
    Hi. We did some research on this school and while it does seem to have a strong academic program, it also caters to children with behavior challenges. I know this can be an extra concern for many parents of very bright children, but that was not one of ours most thankfully.

We are very grateful to have found Mt. Helix Academy and if you're in central SD or east county, you may want to check it out. It's quite the hidden gem (to us anyway!) We're downtown and the school is a straight shot out the 94 in La Mesa - well worth the 12 mile commute. Tuition is 13K.

We landed here and so far couldn't be happier - 6 months into it. Our son was accepted to K as a young 4 year old (4y,5m - March bday.) They do interview and test (WISC) and kids are not accepted on just a high score. Our son tested at 99.9 for reading & language, 99.8 for math. But it was enrolling him in the summer camp program really that got him in - the school plus us had a chance to see if he was emotionally ready for a full day (8am - 3pm) academic program and that he had the maturity and stamina to succeed.

Anyway, the school has homerooms - nice and small and lots of attention. 2 full time K teachers for 16 kids. Grades 1 - 5 get a teacher per 10 kids (I think grades 6 - 8 is one teacher per 12, they are phasing in high school next year starting with 9th grade plus also starting a pre-K program). The great thing for us is that the kids have their homeroom for most of the basics - Spanish, geography, science, etc. etc. plus lunch and recess times. But the core academics - language, reading, math - the kids may be placed (up or down) with the "grade" they will best be challenged. The teachers are also super accessible and receptive to creating new challenges to keep your kid's interest level high.

So for example, our son leaves his homeroom and joins a group of 1st & 2nd graders for reading. He's in the advanced K math group though it's been suggested he move up (we decided to keep him with the high K's and we work with the teacher to give him advanced study sheets and she lets him work ahead of the group.) We love that he is learning academics at his individual level - but also learning about so many important things like behavior and cooperation (and playing!) where his invididual level is just like any other 4 - 5 year old's. Granted probably half the kids in K have turned 6 already and some of the kids are a full 1.5 years older than our son. But probably 1/2 the class is still 5 with a couple who just turned 5 in the fall. So our son gets to read with his academic peers but then play and make friends with his age-group peers.

The school also has a wonderful art program and a music program and starting in 1st grade they have computer lab (Mac's.)

It was just by chance we found this school and we feel so lucky about it. We're super happy with how well-rounded our son is growing and learning in all areas, academically and otherwise. You might want to check it out.

agj #146594 01/18/13 02:29 PM
    M
    M
    Grnflash, thanks so much! This is very helpful and I will definitely check this school out. It sounds very promising.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM