Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #142956 11/16/12 07:01 PM
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I have been given the task of making a presentation about gifted education to a group of college students who are studying to become teachers. I have tons of information and need to pare it down to a manageable amount. The presentation is only supposed to be 15-20 minutes.

Given the time constraint, what do you think is the most essential thing to communicate to this group of future educators?

Thanks for any input!

E
    E
    I think the most essential thing is to communicate that gifted kids are not necessarily happy, productive, achieving kids. Many teachers and administrators think that gifted kids "will be fine" in a regular classroom, and many of us know to our regret that they are wrong. Making sure that teacher understand the difference would be my number one priority.

Here's a couple of thoughts. I don't know how useful they are.

Work with the parent, work with the kid, if they say they need something they do. Take charge so they feel confident in your plan. It's their education . It's your class. A warm and capable personality goes a long way.

They go to school to learn. You go to school to teach. Have high expectations. If they don't reach those expectations don't lower the bar, figure out what the hinderance is.

I've read that writing is something that would improve if it was assigned more but they longer to read and give feedback on so it is assigned less. I've read that parent voulenteers can help with that load if you give them a clear ruberic.

also: google this:
    "davidson gifted for teachers"

there's a variety of topics.

someone posted a link to share with the school about giftedness. I don't know what thread it was in.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Z
    Z
    I thnk the concept of asynchrony is big. As is the notion that a gifted 3rd grader amongst age mates would experience and react in ways similar to a regular 3rd grader forced to sit through kindergarten again. And that it's crueler to give busy work than nothing at all, but the kindest is more challenging work.

C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    I think the most essential thing is to communicate that gifted kids are not necessarily happy, productive, achieving kids. Many teachers and administrators think that gifted kids "will be fine" in a regular classroom, and many of us know to our regret that they are wrong. Making sure that teacher understand the difference would be my number one priority.

Yes! I second this.

I am currently back in school to become an Educational Assistant, and our literacy instructor was formerly the district gifted coordinator. One of my fellow students (a future EA!) asked her if gifted kids actually have problems. This student is an intelligent lady in her own right who's had an abundance of experience with atypical kids.

LOL my face went "O.M.G.!!!" It was pretty funny. The coordinator said "CCN that's part of the problem, though, isn't it? A lack of awareness of the struggles that accompany giftedness."

BINGO.

My approach for your presentation would be to describe it as a problem of curriculum mismatch: it is equally damaging no matter who is involved.

Here's one of the many many examples out there: a friend of a friend of mine has a gifted 9 year old son, who is currently in anger management counselling because his school won't grade skip him. Nice. If he had cognitive delays, on the other hand, the school would be happy to put together an IEP and lower the level of his curriculum. But a gifted kid? Nah, he'll be just fine. (sigh)

Last edited by CCN; 11/17/12 08:33 AM.
    P
    P
    A gifted kid is at least 2 standard deviations above normal, whereas a kid 2 standard deviations below normal is considered developmentally challenged.

Ask them if they would try to teach a kid 2 SDs below normal with the same curriculum they use for normal kids? Then, ask why it would make sense to use that same curriculum for kids 2 SD above normal?

Maybe a graph to give them a picture.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    C
    C
    There are great points here already, but for my one essential I'd go for: all children need to experience finding something daunting, working hard at it, and succeeding. Most children can get that with the ordinary curriculum. Often, gifted children can't: they succeed at the normally expected tasks without effort, and the "enrichment" activities they're then given are often fun but not challenging, so they don't help either.

You could tie this in with the previous point about 2SDs above/below by pointing out that children who are working below expectations often have the other version of this problem: they don't get the "and succeeding" part unless someone adapts the task to be appropriate. Gifted children don't get the "finding something hard, working hard at it" part. Both parts are essential.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thanks for the suggestions! Lots of good stuff here.

I just wanted to add that, if a child wants to learn something, teach them! If they want to learn algebra and the other students are just learning multiplication, figure out a way to teach that one interested student algebra! And if you don't know how to do it or don't have the time or resources to do it, help them find someone who can teach them. A child isn't going to ask for harder work unless they are truly interested and likely ready for it.

So many times we've heard, "It's great that your child loves math and is desperate to learn more, but she'll have holes; we don't think she's ready." But encourage that love and desire to learn more in every way that you can. An interested child will fill in the holes easily. And if it turns out that said child was not, in fact, ready to learn the new material, no harm done. The worst case scenario is that you've shown the child that you respect them and believe in them and will nurture and mentor them and encourage them in something they love and are eager to learn.

Why so many teachers tell children, "No, you can't learn that yet" is beyond me. frown

She thought she could, so she did.
    D
    D
    That gifted kids don't "look" a certain way. You can't always spot them with the naked eye!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM