Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #142786 11/13/12 02:22 PM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I just saw this from Stephanie Tolan's blog:

http://www.rfwp.com/book/off-the-charts-asynchrony-and-the-gifted-child

It looks good and is on sale through Sunday.

S
    S
    I've got in my basket. Trying to hold myself back from going too crazy on books for the kid.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    A
    A
    No e-book option. frown I don't think I've bought a print book in 3 years... Looks good, though.

D
    D
    Thanks for posting the link, Cricket2. I clicked through though and couldn't figure out what she was saying about asynchrony; I searched for Stephanie Tolan's blog but although I found a website of hers didn't see more commentary. I'm just wondering what take she (or the book) has on asynchrony, other than that it apparently exists in some gifted kids. If they're talking about giftedness and social/emotional immaturity, I would probably be interested in learning more (especially because other than the James Webb Misdiagnosis book I haven't seen much about it and the professionals I've talked to seem kind of dismissive and disposed to diagnose myriad disorders). But I'm not prepared to spend another $25 on a book that I am going to skim and throw back on the bookshelf (no disrespect of the authors or their work intended).

Z
    Z
    Here's a link to a PDF with the table of contents and first few pages of the intro. Looks interesting, particularly that the these are a series of essays on asynchrony from a wide range of contributors.

http://www.rfwp.com/samples/off-the-charts--pp.11.pdf

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    But I'm not prepared to spend another $25 on a book that I am going to skim and throw back on the bookshelf (no disrespect of the authors or their work intended).

Just a suggestion, but for folks who are interested in these types of books and don't want to have to pay for them, in our school district the gifted department has a library that they keep in a central location and you can check books out - it's not something that I've ever seen advertised, but I found out about it when I called the head of the district gifted program with a question about something or other... I suspect she was trying to pacify me with a book rather than answer my question... but I did find out that they had copies of most of the usual typical "gifted" books smile

polarbear

C
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    Thanks for posting the link, Cricket2. I clicked through though and couldn't figure out what she was saying about asynchrony; I searched for Stephanie Tolan's blog but although I found a website of hers didn't see more commentary. I'm just wondering what take she (or the book) has on asynchrony, other than that it apparently exists in some gifted kids.
    '
    I, obviously, haven't read the book yet as it just came out, but here's the link to Stephanie Tolan's blog with the info she put out about it: http://welcometothedeepend.com/2012/11/13/off-the-charts-book-debut/

D
    D
    Thanks for the extra links and info, guys. It does look interesting. I just seem to live in a world where I can't even get professionals to acknowledge the James Webb Misdiagnosis book, so I'm not sure if I should keep reading stuff from this general area because at this point I find it kind of depressing that these ideas are "out there"--meaning far away from me, and so of little practical help to DD for now. But as always, I digress....

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM