Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Just a quick example of not following the 10-point rule.

I have had all my children tested by the same tester.

Oldest son DYS- tested PG on the SB-V (age 5) and WISC-IV (age 8)
    Daughter tested average on WISC-IV (age 7)
    Youngest son - tested MG on the SB-V (age 5).

There were 40 points between the highest and lowest overall full scale IQ.
    There are no major 2-e issues that I am aware (except a speech delay by the youngest son). My children are very different from one another and I do believe that their score are accurate.

Crisc
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by justamomNC
    My question:
    Has anyone had experiences with siblings with THAT much of a gap where there wasn't a learning issue?

I am fairly certain that my brother, sister and I have a gap in IQ range where I am more average and they are probably in the bright average range. Reason: my father is PG and my mother is average, so it's a genetic thing. My dd6 is the one blessed with Grandpa's brains, she isn't PG but she is probably in the "lower" end of HG especially in math and science (also what Grandpa excels in).

Last edited by MamaJA; 11/08/12 04:19 PM.
    E
    E
    My brother-in-law is PG though my dh is not (gifted...but not PG). I suspect he has an undetected reading issue per his reports though. It was not easy on my dh to have a PG brother...I think he often felt defeated that he would never measure up. Luckily, dh was a talented athlete where his B was not.

My sister and I are pretty similar though we have different strengths and weaknesses. However, I can only imagine she would claim superiority over me as she is older (which makes her right about everything and more accomplished).

But I digress...

J
    OP Offline
    J
    You all aren't making me feel better! lol.

I know it is what it is. So we will just have him retested as a second opinion incase he was having an off day or the test giver was off. I honestly think it's a combination of both.
    I don't think he is as gifted as his older sister, but he is clearly more advanced than his peers in pre-school.
    His pre-school director use to administer the test and she agreed that the report is not consistent with what she sees.
    So "fingers crossed." smile

My only worry is that I've heard that the SBV is harder for young kids than the WPPSI in that it's longer.
    Any advice on how to prepare him for a longer test.....other than maturity. ha!

Thanks for the responses.

B
    B
    My sister tested high average and grew up to be a medical doctor. My brother tested at low average, almost extremely low. I tested as profoundly gifted. My baby sister was never tested, and neither were her daughters, but the daughters were placed in the gifted class in school.

If the kid's in pre-school, a provisional result is the best you've got anyway.

A
    A
    I can provide another viewpoint. I've got two girls with identical IQs (same tester at same age on same test) but than present as being probably 10 points apart.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by justamomNC
    I don't think he is as gifted as his older sister, but he is clearly more advanced than his peers in pre-school.
    His pre-school director use to administer the test and she agreed that the report is not consistent with what she sees.
    A few thoughts here:

I've seen both the scores be off due to a variety of thing and I've also seen families where there are very large differences in the intelligence of the members. I've more often seen some people be a lot lower than seen a gifted person who is born into a family where there are no other gifties. Actually, I'm not sure if I've ever seen the latter.

In regard to the part of your last quote that I pasted above, though, is he attending a preschool where most of the children are gifted? If not, it is likely that even a 98th percentile child is going to appear clearly more advanced than his classmates. In regard to the preschool director's comment, I really am less and less sure the longer I interact with my own kids and other gifted kids that one can differentiate btwn HG+ and MG with a driven personality solely by interacting with the kid. I do think that a knowledgeable person can often distinguish btwn bright/high achiever and gifted by interacting with the kid, but once you get into 98th percentile and up, pinpointing the actual IQ based on performance or interaction with the kid is a bit more iffy, IHMO of course.

From what I understand, the SB-V isn't that long of a test. Actually, I think that it may be less onerous for your ds in that it has routing tests at the beginning that help the tester move past questions that are too easy for the child and thus shorten the time of the test for a child who is likely to do well. I hope that you get the score he needs to be placed in the same school as his sister.

M
    M
    The sbv is actually shorter for a gifted child due to the routing questions eliminating all the too easy stuff. Both my children found it more fun and tested higher (only margin of error higher in verbal).

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Beckee
    My sister tested high average and grew up to be a medical doctor.

I think there are likely a lot more uber-high-achieving high-average ability people in our world than we would think there are hanging around on forums like this. My parents were both teachers, and they knew the IQs of many of the kids they taught when they recommended them for high-ability programs or when they had the kids placed provisionally in their high-ability classes, as well as knowing a lot of kids in their general-ed-ability classes who didn't qualify for the high-ability classes. They saw, as teachers, many kids who had high levels of motivation work hard and achieve more than the school thought they were capable of when simply looking at IQ scores.

polarbear

C
    C
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    I think there are likely a lot more uber-high-achieving high-average ability people in our world than we would think there are hanging around on forums like this.
    Just a clarity question: are you saying that there are more high achieving people of high-average ability hanging out on this forum than we'd suspect or that there are more of these people in the world than we'd suspect?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM