Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    Lisa, there's another reason I wouldn't call an IEP meeting right away - this is a violation of the existing IEP. If you call an IEP meeting,, you're giving the school the opportunity to discuss the IEP and they may recommend/want to make changes. I wouldn't want to be making changes without a lot of thought going into it and having a chance to prep ahead of time. Today, this week, though you have a clear violation of the existing IEP (pulling your ds out of class for spelling help), so you can put that down in writing and email it to the full team, and request that the IEP be followed as written.

I can't remember for sure what is happening with the aide - did they update the IEP to include an aide or is the IEP in place still the same IEP you'd agreed to for this school year with no updates/changes?

Ugh on all the problems - I hope next week brings a chance to relax and not have to be advocating constantly.

Best wishes,

polarbear

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    My son's normal school conference was yesterday, and it was with the Special Ed Chair. I was dreading it, but it went surprisingly well.

It seems that the Special Ed Principal may be the one creating the tempest in a teacup, because without her there, things went very well. The Chair explained that the science teacher requested the educational assistant for that class period because there are several on IEP's (would've been nice to know). My son was pulled out to work in the library on a task the teacher decided was too writing-intensive (definitions for 100 vocab words), and the teacher decided when to have my kiddo go to the library at a time when he wouldn't miss anything in class. I am comfortable with that so will leave it alone for now without a change to the IEP.

We also discussed my son's ongoing difficulty with remembering to turn in assignments, and she asked for my suggestions. I explained that his iPod had a voice memo recorder that would work fine but that the Sp. Ed Principal had vetoed it. She offered to go over her head and ask the principal, who has known my son since he started school. He immediately said yes. So now we will see if it does the trick.

Thanks again for all the feedback and support. You all are amazing!

Great update! Isn't it amazing how one person can turn everything to crap?

~amy
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by epoh

But also amazing how an organized and committed parent who communicates carefully and doesn't lose hope can turn it around.

DeeDee

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by epoh

But also amazing how an organized and committed parent who communicates carefully and doesn't lose hope can turn it around.

DeeDee

Both are so true.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Before having a person assigned to assist my son in science: I missing assignment

After having a person assigned: 12 missing assignments.

Seems the aid keeps telling my son that he can just work on it at his own pace in the library with her as he has time. REALLY?!?

I'm so tired of swimming in pudding, though, that I'm tempted to just let them keep piling up until the school finally freaks out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM