Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 179 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    EPGY is surveying the SSA's this year regarding our groups. If you participate or plan to participate in EPGY OE with my group please give me your feedback.

Additional service offerings that you would find desirable:
    Direct access to EPGY technical support
    Ability to add tutorial services as needed
    Social networking site monitored by EPGY instructors
    None of the above

Which time ranges for course access are most desirable to your parent group?
    3 months
    5 months (current option)
    6 months
    10 (current option)
    12 months

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/16/12 04:16 PM.

EPGY OE Volunteer Group Leader
    Val Offline
    SSA?

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Val
    SSA?

School Support Associate

http://epgy.stanford.edu/school/openenroll/info
    Students in School Open Enrollment are supported in their coursework by their parents, who assume the role of a tutor. The course software continually assesses student progress and provides extensive reporting tools to assist parents in monitoring the progress of their children. Parents can quickly and easily identify areas of challenge and assist their children accordingly. Technical support for the courses is available primarily through the School Support Associate, who is trained by EPGY staff and acts as a liaison with EPGY. There are also a range of self-help guides and tutorials available on the School Open Enrollment website. School Open Enrollment works most effectively when parents are actively monitoring their children’s coursework and maintain a close working relationship with their School Support Associate (SSA). More information on support can be found here.

EPGY?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    EPGY?

EPGY

The Open Enrollment program makes courses from the Education Program for Gifted Youth (EPGY) at Stanford University available to families who are interested in working together to accelerate the learning of their children. Until recently, EPGY courses were accessible only to students whose schools officially implemented them or students who applied to the Stanford EPGY individual distance-learning program. Through School Open Enrollment students can come together in less formal learning communities to benefit from EPGY’s courses in math and English. In their coursework, students are supported by their parents, who have access to monitoring capabilities, an array of self-support tools, as well as a School Support Associate, a local volunteer who receives training in the course software from EPGY staff and acts as a liaison with EPGY.

(I've run a group open to members of this board and The Well Trained Mind for the last few years. :))

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/16/12 06:23 PM.

D
    D
    I would love to understand all the constructs and infrastructure underlying this question. As a parent who has been using EPGY (just for math) for a little over six months, I still find EPGY somewhat mysterious. I gather from the question and followups above that there are parent groups in something called open enrollment (presumptively "OE") who have access to something called School Support Associates ("SSA"s, I gather--thanks, Bostonian!). I have been paying at least some attention to discussions of EPGY on this site and it seems most of them have to do with whether one can form a parent group online to benefit from enrollment deals/discounts and how it compares to other (usually math) programs. So this question seems to assume a level of familiarity with EPGY that I don't think most people here have--but if they do, I would love to be brought up to speed, because I have been trying to understand what is offered in case we end up homeschooling in the next couple of years.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I have been a group leader and SSA for an online group for EPGY for the last few years. It has always been, and will continue to be open to anyone who wants to enroll from the Davidson Forum and The Well Trained Mind. I am not here as often, I now homeschool my all my children so much of the discussion regarding PS situations is no longer relevant to my situation. I try to post to update others about it each year and many people find me on the WTM after searching old posts here regarding EPGY.

Years ago a group of us got together when EPGY was first started the OE (Open Enrollment Program)so that we could enroll our children. I took the training from EPGY, and became the SSA for the group. EPGY OE offers the same math and language arts program that is offered in the individual program with the parent acting as the tutor/teacher and an SSA acting as a liason with EPGY. The OE program is a significant cost saving (currently it is $135 for 10 months of access to both program, math K-Intro to Algebra and LAW 2-6)for those with younger children that would not have the need the tutor or the certificate of completion offered in the individual program. I have continued to accept students since that time. This year EPGY sent out a survey requesting input from the families involved in the OE program, that is the point of the post, looking for input.

Parents who wish to enroll a student have been asked PM me here, or on the WTM under the same username, supply the parent full name, student last name, and an email address that I can contact you at and I will forward the registration information to you. As before, students of parents active on this forum and on WTM are given priority over those who just happen across these posts while searching online. You can also search on the EPGY OE site to see if a group already exists for your area. HTH. smile To date our group has brought this program to over 300 students.

Last edited by melmichigan; 10/17/12 10:44 AM.

U
    U
    You have had 300 students through your group! I had no idea it was so many. Thanks again for organizing it.

3 of the 300 are mine. We've been pretty happy with it, having tried a number of other options (Khan, IXL, Aleks). I am talking about K-7 Math -- our guys haven't gotten to the Algebra yet and Language Arts ... well, let's just say that is much harder to teach with software.

To answer your questions:

1. The current time options are fine with me. We are long term users, so will pick whatever is the least $/month.

2. I wouldn't mind the ability to adjust the software settings (session length, "gifted settings") without bugging the SSA.

3. It would be nice if they made logging in and out easier for situations where different kids use the same computer. A user name and a password one could change, for instance, and not needing to go to one specific screen to have the account switch actually work.

4. I personally wouldn't use the tutoring, but I know others that might.

5. The social networking seems like a bad idea to me, or at minimum something that should be easy to turn off.

6. One thing to absolutely keep is the lack of "game-ification." Getting a question wrong is no big deal in the current software -- making it into a big deal is counterproductive with many kids.

7. It would be nice if they could provide a little more transparency into how the software decides to serve up what questions. I noticed one child was getting a few questions that were harder at level 5.2 than my other child (at 5.7) had ever gotten. Does it bring in enrichment questions when a child is doing especially well on something? Is the idea that this might be used by schools and kids might not be allowed to go beyond grade level, so sneak in some harder material when you can?

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks uppervalley and those who PM'd thoughts on the survey. They have now been submitted to EPGY. smile I will be interested to see what changes they may bring to the program in the future.

T
    T
    Hi melmichigan,

I'm new here, but I've been reading the forum for a while and I remembered you mentioned you have a group for EPGY? I'd like to do open enrollment -- not sure if I've missed a deadline?

My son (almost 7) has already taken Accelerated 2nd Grade math (thru CTY) this summer, and with us transitioning to homeschool from public school this month, I'd love for him to take a few more courses in math, and also try out the LAW courses.

Please let me know if it's not too late, and if not, what I need to do. Thank you!

- Thestr0ng1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs