Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 413 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by cc6
    it is time for eChoices- choosing magnets here at lausd.
    for him to get into a gifted magnet, i need a document signed stating he is "verififed as gifted" which is same document i already have- but i need this document from his CURRENT SCHOOL which i know the teacher/principal will NOT sign.

my Question for them would be how does he go from being verified in june 2012 to NOT in nov 2012? how did he pass the test@ the other school? how are his academic skills so advanced?

I have to say that I'm very confused by this. The eChoices website said that LAUSD students don't need this form.

Originally Posted by eChoices
    LAUSD Students do not need the Verification Form.

If your son took a test in the district, the district will contact your son's school to verify the results. And why would the principal refuse to sign or confirm something? You seem to be implying that the school is out to get your child; this makes no sense. If the child has passed the test, the administrators would have to lie to say that he didn't. Would they really do that? It seems to me that the question is, "Did the did pass the test?" not "How's he doing this year on other things?"

Certainly, if you DON'T submit the paperwork, the best that can happen is nothing. If you DO submit the paperwork, the best that can happen is that your son will go to a school more suited to his needs, and the worst that can happen becomes nothing.

Last edited by Val; 11/04/12 12:57 PM.
    C
    cc6 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    here is what i am reading val :

Gifted/High Ability Magnets serve students who demonstrate ability to work two years above grade level in academic subjects. These centers offer enriched interdisciplinary academic environments that are exciting, challenging, and encourage students to use creative/critical-thinking skills. Applicants to gifted/high ability schools/centers must be verified as meeting one of the following criteria prior to Friday, November 16, 2012.
    A. Demonstrate the ability to meet ALL FOUR of these critical thinking and problem solving skills in their primary language:

•Explain meanings or relationships among facts, information or concepts that demonstrate depth and complexity.
    •Formulate new ideas or solutions and elaborate on the information.
    •Use alternative methods in approaching new or unfamiliar mathematical problems.
    •Use extensive vocabulary easily and accurately to express creative ideas.
    Your child’s teacher and the principal of the school your child is currently attending will determine if your child meets all four characteristics.

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

C
    C
    Originally Posted by cc6
    cricket,
    that is FRAPE you are speaking of,
    free appropriate education...
    i have wondered if maybe they are in violation of this simply b/c he came into this school also under the SASapplication- and the school is receiving $ for his SAS placement there, but they offer no actual SAS. they refuse to meet his needs.
    i would say that is in violation...
    I'm sorry if this was addressed later (I'm just popping in briefly and didn't read the rest of the replies). However, if they are receiving SAS $ for your child, I'd think that you've got good cause to hold their feet to the fire (i.e. - threaten them) if they refuse to sign the paperwork verifying that he passed the gifted testing for your choice application to another school.

Val Offline
    Okay, I'm only writing this message based on what I've read, and may not have all the facts. Correct me if I'm wrong. You said that you're thinking of homeschooling and you also said:

i am single parent w/o support and
    i currently do not have insurance, i cannot afford speech therapy, i cannot afford private school.
    i receive no public assistance.

Are you working? If so, how will you find the time to homeschool? What will your son do while you're working? How will you afford the costs associated with homeschooling?

I have to be honest: I want to make suggestions that could help you, but it's very hard for me to read through your messages. They tend go from idea to idea, and it's hard to see your main points. There are a lot of missing capitals (i am), text message abbreviations (b/c), and other things that get in the way of reading. When you write like this, people might not take you seriously. I'm not trying to be mean! I'm trying to HELP you be effective when you write to your son's school. And you MUST write to them. Talking isn't enough.

Could your son's teacher and principal be having the same problem when you write to them?

Here's what I'm thinking:

• For now, you're stuck with this school. Everyone here understands how terrible that can be. Your job is to try to make things less bad for your child. I suggest that you write down the MOST IMPORTANT problems your son is having at school and then discuss them with his teacher.

Example: "DS was assessed as being ready for first grade in June 2012, but now he's having trouble with material for kindergarten. I think part of his problem is that he's being underchallenged and he's shutting down. I'm concerned for his mental health at this point and would like to work with you to help him."
    • Stick to the main points. Don't go off onto related ideas.
    • Make suggestions. Give them some ideas for solutions. Don't wait for them to make suggestions.
    • If you want to write a draft of an email to the school, post it here and people can help you with it.

Last edited by Val; 11/04/12 03:04 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM