Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    http://gcq.sagepub.com/content/34/3/111.short
    Assessing the Social Status of Gifted Students by Their Age Peers
    Richard L. Luftig
    Miami University
    Marci L. Nichols
    Batavia Local Schools Batavia, Ohio
    Abstract

This study investigated the social status of gifted children enrolled in an educational pull-out program with same-aged peers not identified as gifted. Both groups completed a sociometric nomination instrument in which they rated classmates. Results were analyzed in terms of the percentage of students assigned to popular, rejected, or neglected categories by peers. A 2 (gifted) x 2 (gender) analysis was used. Gifted boys were most popular while gifted girls were least popular. Boys and girls not identified as gifted were rejected more than gifted pupils, and boys were more rejected than girls.
    so that article was from 1990, but when I first read it, I though, yup, that reflects my memory of my personal experience.

I would share with the teacher that you, the parent, prefer that your child not be publicly identified for her test scores. You don't have to explain why, but you can say that you are getting social pressure from the other parents and you don't like it.

Remember what the companies say about the numbers of letters they get about their products, that each person who comments represents hundreds who feel the same but don't comment.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    BoAnother reason to support change to a more cooperative model is that students don't wind up viewing future colleagues as "the enemy" when they need to learn how to work in teams. This is really crucial in engineering and science disciplines, and it used to be an area where future employer stakeholders and professional organizations were telling colleges that we were FAILING our students in a pretty much EPIC fashion by setting them up to "compete" with one another rather than viewing learning as a potentially collaborative experience without winners and losers.

Another problem is that you view superiors in the company hierarchy as threats because the goal is to become CEO as fast as possible and those people are in your way.

Val Offline
    But my experiences as a teacher would indicate that practices which support competitiveness rather than cooperative learning environments-- on balance, I mean-- leave a greater percentage of students WORSE off than before.

Another reason to support change to a more cooperative model is that students don't wind up viewing future colleagues as "the enemy" when they need to learn how to work in teams.

There is healthy competition, and there is unhealthy competition. This is what I was trying (and failing) to say in my last post.

I took a really tough chem exam once. Everyone, including me, walked out of class with our brains dripping out our ears. We all thought we failed. When Mr. D. handed back the tests, I saw that I got an A. It turned out that I got a tough 20-point problem correct. I had made an educated guess on how to start it and then followed through logically. The grader wrote VERY, VERY GOOD!!! on my paper.

Everyone else actually did bomb the test. I turned my paper over and refused to discuss it with anyone after class.

IMO, posting my grade publicly or telling everyone that I got an A would have just added to everyone else's misery and may have made them resent me. Why would I want to do that? It wouldn't have accomplished anything positive.

I've held leadership positions at work for a long time now. IMO, if you want to be a good leader, you can't always be competing to be the top dog. If you do, you end up being a bad leader because you tell people that you don't care about them, and the example you set is to look out for yourself and not for anyone else or the organization's goals. This lesson is taught in school.

I'm reminded of something Iucounu said in another thread:

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    ...I was routinely in situations where my skills obviously far outstripped those of my colleagues. I made a habit of not taking more than my share of credit for any work, giving credit to others wherever it was due, and always being available to help. I also would intentionally do some work to help others without expecting to get any credit.

What happened was that my avoidance of glory-seeking helped others relax, and the time I spent helping them not only impressed them first-hand as to my level of skill, but also made them grateful to me.

IMO, this is a better way to go.

Sure, maybe there's a correlation between competition and gender, but that doesn't mean that someone should blindly accept uber-competing as being okay because it's part of being male. Humans are intelligent enough to know that we can analyze our behaviors and consider the idea that an approach that feels good personally may not be the best one generally.

Originally Posted by Dude
    If someone was angry at me for doing better than them, my personality is not one that would ever internalize that. That's their problem, not mine.

I once physically attacked someone for being an academic threat, so that's always something to watch out for.

E
    E
    I can still recall how sheepish I felt when in graduate school, I hit an O-chem exam out of the park (like, 96% raw score, which is insanely good for this class)... and my DH, our future best man, and a couple of our other close friends were all in this class together...

I wanted to sink into the floor when they found out that I was the one who had earned that 96. The mean was 68 on that exam. I felt AWFUL. blush And everyone involved was clearly an adult with little to prove at that point. We were all "smart like that."
    I had a very similar experience with an advanced materials engineering class - I had a 95, and class ave was a 45 (and the professor pointed out that it would have been quite a few points lower if my score was not counted - but he did not disclose my identity). The professor was pissed about the results of that exam, too, and pretty much reamed out the whole class when he handed it back.

I am a competitive person, and I was very worried about having my identity disclosed. I begged the TA to please not tell anyone (which really surprised my boyfriend).

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I appreciate all the thoughts on this. Keep them coming.

It may give you an idea of our teacher situation this year when I say that this was actually near the bottom of my list of current concerns. (Most of which have nothing to do with level of challenge, btw.)

Originally Posted by Val
    IMO, posting my grade publicly or telling everyone that I got an A would have just added to everyone else's misery and may have made them resent me. Why would I want to do that?

Intimidation purposes and to explain that you *did* consider yourself superior to them and that this simply reinforced it?

Yes, I am aware that my approach to life back in the day was completely insane and non-productive.

Is there any wonder why I have absolutely no leadership skills?

Z
    Z
    Thinking to another thread here about posted behavior levels causing anxiety... I remember grades being announced in school more as a form of shame-based manipulation than almost anything else. By high school there were many curve teachers who posted all the grades by way of showing the distributions. By third grade I had mostly checked out of grades as being relevant to anything.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Intimidation purposes and to explain that you *did* consider yourself superior to them and that this simply reinforced it?

Did you really believe that you were superior to them, or were you just trying to prove it to yourself?

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by JonLaw

Did you really believe that you were superior to them, or were you just trying to prove it to yourself?

I think it was more that I had no identity except that I was superior (read more intelligent) to others, so it was pretty much my core identity at that time (in school). I used my intelligence like a sledgehammer.

My father was always annoyed that I thought I was better than other people, although he helped to create that in the first place.

I discarded that identity, but never replaced it with anything else. Life as competition really doesn't work in the adult world since there really isn't anything to "win" anymore.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM