Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #141763 10/29/12 09:23 PM
    H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    Our DS6 just got the ok to move to 2nd grade! Advocacy worked! He is excited- even said the benchmark tests he had to take were "fun." He has to switch schools back from a local charter to our local public school, but he is happy for the change if it means he will (hopefully) feel more challenged at school.

It seems like it's been a long struggle- so hopefully we've turned the corner and will see a happier little man. I hope he likes the 2nd grade homework!

Hils #141767 10/30/12 04:08 AM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    congrats!!!
    that is awesome!
    i am hoping to get my newly turned DS6 into a 1st grade program this upcoming jan 2013. at the begin of 2nd semester...
    he is beyond bored in kinder.
    though i am aware he may be bored in 1st as well, it will at least be more interesting...
    but i am concerned re social as my DS6 is lagging behind socially, he is very quiet around peers.

how is your DS6 dealing with his academic peers who will be age 7 & turning 8 already? did this impact your decision at all?

thank u and congrats again smile

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Hils #141806 10/30/12 11:45 AM
    E
    E
    Yay! Great question, cc6.

Hils #141850 10/30/12 10:50 PM
    H
    Hils Offline OP
    OP Offline
    H
    He is also a quiet focused type when it comes to learning in the classroom. He would often comment after school that it bothered him if kids his age were not obeying the 1st grade rules. He has an older brother (less than 2 years) and often spends time with older kids. In Kinder, he really enjoyed one-on-one playdates with the extroverted "leader" kids, but was too quiet to enjoy their company during busy school days when he was happy to focus on learning.

From my observations (and also having an energetic, extroverted older sibling) is that he prefers to form deep relationships outside of school. He really seems to regard school as a work environment- he wants to be challenged and focus his energy into learning new skills. When that need isn't met, we hear many cries and complaints. If you DS asks for playdates outside of school, I would take that as a reflection of his personality. Maybe he is just more introverted and better on forming deeper relationships one-on-one.

I always watch the boys interact when I volunteer at school and there is quite a bit of jockeying for position- whatever the activity. I think some HG kids are just outside observers of that activity and understand at an early age that it is not necessary for their sense of self. His need for challenge seems gnaw at his self-esteem rather than his need to fit in with kids his age.

Luckily- DS6 is tall for his age and only "off" by 6-8 months from his youngest/ oldest peers. I'm hoping that in 2nd grade, they are still pretty accepting and he will feel less out of place. I think some playdates at the new school will help smooth any major hiccups!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations