Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 434 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Seems to me that given specific quantity needs, the correct answer is that this is not an appropriate time to use estimation.

Or, an appropriate rule of thumb would be: given specific quantity needs, always round up, even if it's further to round up than down. Then, if you come up short, you may have a problem, and should do a more precise calculation. If you don't come up short, you know you're okay.

Somehow I doubt that's what the question-writer had in mind.

U
    U
    Dude: That goes to my point about the obsession with estimation. Trust me-- you're not supposed to say that she shouldn't be estimating. I've seen a lot of these dumb problems.

LNE: Yep, my DD does the same thing. She just solves the actual problem. It's easy enough.

Last edited by ultramarina; 10/26/12 09:24 AM.
    Yup. What ultramarina said. You are not supposed to point out the many ways in which estimation is inappropriate or problematic. Ever.

Even when the answer is patently foolish in light of the more accurate answer, saying so is verboten.

DD hated those estimation problems. The entire concept was ridiculous to her.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Not homework but classwork ...

From someone at College Confidential http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/14975348-post85.html

"I am not claiming to have any special ability, but when I was in the third grade in a small school in Hellhole, Texas, I received a similar assignment to the one Gauss received and came up with a similar solution in a couple of minutes. But when I showed my teacher my solution in Hellhole, she screamed at me and called me lazy and told me to do it the long way like the other children. If Gauss had grown up in a place like Hellhole, it's quite possible we would never have heard of him."

Gauss was given the problem of computing

1 + 2 + ... + 100

and figured out that it equals 50 * (1 + 100) = 5050.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Originally Posted by LNEsMom
    But DS said, no she's not correct because she should have rounded to 50 not 40 and then she would have realized she didn't have enough beads.

Seems to me that given specific quantity needs, the correct answer is that this is not an appropriate time to use estimation. 47 would also round to 50, but 3x47 < 144.

The correct answer is "always round up and then see if you can return or sell the inevitable leftovers." <--says the woman with far too many single skeins of yarn because of this very tendency, and then a tendency to never get around to returning or selling stuff.

I still remember in fourth grade having to do a worksheet on True/False statement. One of the statements was something along the line of the moon givesoff light at night" to which I answered "False". The teacher marked it wrong and I got into an all out argument with the teacher regarding the fact that the moon has no energy source of its own and therefore does NOT give off light but, instead, reflects the light from the sun.

Another question on the same assignment showed two drawings of a desk. One was messy, with papers and books strewn all over it while the other was neat and organized with everything in nice plies. The statement was something along the lines of "These two desks look different." I again answered "False" and again had to argue with the teacher because the desks themselves were actually identical, it was only the placement of the surrounding oblects that had changed, so, no, the DESKS did NOT look different.

Even in college Algebra I had a debate with the T.A. for our Algebra class that if she wanted to see a pecific equation in response to a problem that she should say so. Otherwise, I felt that my diagrams, sketches and scribbles should have been sufficient evidence of "Showing your work", especially since I got the correct answer. We also had a little cdebate about what the purpose of mathematics should be, reciting memorized formulas or using logic and higher level thinking skills to understand the nature of a given problem and finding a way to solve it. We got along pretty well after that but her subsequent tests all stated "Please show your equations."

Ok, here's one from my grade 10 gym (which included sex ed), since you guys are making me think about all kinds of auful things...

"If a couple has sex, but the man withdraws before any emission occurs, can pregnancy occur?"

"correct" answere was "yes"

That word, I do not think it means what you think it means...

Re: estimation. I would answer that she rounded wrong, but would have caught her error if she had observed the small margin of errorr and followed up with a more exact calculation, as is appropriate when rounding.

DS1: Hon, you already finished your homework
    DS2: Quit it with the protesting already!
    U
    U
    LA sheet.

"Negative prefixes Im- and Il-

Choose the correct prefix for each of the word definitions below.

Not mortal
    Not patient
    Not perfect
    Not legal
    Not regular"

"Mama??"

:facepalm:

Oh, clearly the last one is supposed to be ABNORMAL.

Maybe it's "illogical" instead, since that is more in keeping with the worksheet's overall gestalt. grin

Then again, that gets back to "imperfect" since the primary meaning isn't exactly the same.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    We're all now enjoying referring to things as "imregular."

Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets