Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 432 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #141527 10/26/12 06:49 AM
    I
    OP Offline
    I
    Our son who just turned 6 in September and goes to first grade, is quite bright and talented. We enrolled him in this highly rated public school and they accepted him for grade I. Within 10 days, we (in fact our son) realized that this is not the place for him and we pulled him out and enrolled him back in his old Montessori school. Though a Montessori, they still have a weekly work plan which is designed for 1st graders. It is quite advanced compared to the public school though but the teachers emphasize on handwriting and ability to sit still more than my son's intellectual need. The teacher admits she has handled gifted children before and too much pressing might be detrimental.
    Now on our son a bit, he was tested for CTD(NW University) and he scored a percentile of 99.9 in every aspect. Recently we had to test him with WISC IV and he scored a percentile of >99.9 and a FSIQ of 151. He started reading while 3 and now reads at my level. Out of his own curiosity he has in depth knowledge on things like Geology, Space, Oceanography, American History, Herpetology ( i think in par with the folks in National Geo :-)),Disasters, Periodic Table and basic chemistry, basics of Physics,Nuclear Disasters and their causes and effects, World War, Cold War, Cancer, Genetics .... an I can go on..
    He is quite social too and in 7 weeks of Piano, he has startled us all by playing Celine Dion's 'My Heart will go on' with chords ( discovered himself, without notations or books). He is presently deep into study of Mythology and Impressionism and wants a canvas as he wants to paint in Renoir's style!
    I know he has potential and more so, I don't want him to undergo the 7 hour torture every day. And my biggest worry, he is now trying to adjust to the class and unlearn stuff !
    We cannot home school as both of need to work to make ends meet. We enrolled him in Mensa and EPGY Math.
    Apologies for a long note, but I really want some advise on how we can keep him motivated to perform at his potential. We live in Western suburbs of Chicago.

Z
    Z
    Seems like you already have your foot in the door at the right place. CTD is more than just a summer program. I'd contact them about their other support offerings, and they'd likely be familiar with the better Chicago area opportunities.

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/parents/

I notice they have a Saturday program.

M
    M
    this is just a thought ... but since you're already paying a pretty hefty amount for the full day Montessori school (at least in my area that would be a lot of $ and I'm in Northwest suburbs of Chicago close to the WI border), how about finding and paying someone who has an in-home daycare or who homeschools their child and would homeschool your child as well and actually would be able to gear it towards your son's needs? I haven't checked into it in depth yet but I don't think it has to be a parent in IL that homeschools, or does it?

L
    L
    I live in the western suburbs too! Have you investigated any of the gifted private schools in the area? There is Avery Coonley in Downers Grove, DaVinci Academy in Elgin and Quest in Palatine (but that's probably a bit far away to be practical).

From what you've said, it sounds like neither public school or Montessori is going to be a good fit for your child. I don't know alot about these schools, but they may be a reasonable option to consider for your ds if you can afford the tuition.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Thanks a lot for your information on Davidson Young Scholars. I will apply for the same soon and hope it will be very helpful.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    We have started talking to two of the schools you have suggested. We plan to decide on one of these if they have an opening. If anyone has more feedback on the Avery Coonley and their ability to really provide individual based progressive education will be helpful.
    Thanks a lot.

F
    F
    I am interested in anyone with info on Avery Coonley as well! I have looked into Quest (not impressed) and DaVinci (even less impressed then I was with Quest).

IllinoisParent, I also have a son in first grade in a public school... Northwest burbs. We are trying to hold out until third grade and a wonderful magnet program our district offers.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Hi frannieandejsmom,
    I too visited Da Vinci and was not too impressed. Which district are you in? Our district has a gifted program but I am not sure if it will good for my son. I need to find something for next year. So, if you receive any info on AC or others please pass on. Thanks a lot.

F
    F
    we are in d54 - schaumburg area

E
    E
    While my experience with Avery Coonley is from another era (class of '83), at that time they were highly individualized in mathematics, language arts/rhetoric, and art in particular. Standards were high across the board - in the 1990s the school was excluded from the Illinois State Science Fair after placing first too many times in a row. The progressive traditions also ran very deep, with handiwork, music, and outdoor education integral to the curriculum at all levels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM