Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    J
    Yes, hearing children of completely deaf parents develop normal speech. Some of that is probably because they also have peers in school, etc. who interact with them.
    Before hearing aids, cochlear implants, etc., the average person who was born completely deaf only reached a third grade reading level. That is because you need to exercise and develop the auditory part of the brain- if you can't, that part of the brain "dies off" (think of auditory processing disorder). The brain operates on a "use it or lose it" type of principle!
    I would never sit on speech delay. I have said this over and over- hearing loss in children can be very subtle and easy to miss. My son had three normal hearing screens (three years in a row) at hte pediatrician's before I got an audiology exam and learned that he is almost deaf in one ear.
    My son has always been extremely verbal and articulate. He has never had a speech delay, FWIW.

Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Dude, I'm not sure what the rest of your point is, but I can address this:
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Hearing kids who grow up in deaf signing households learn the spoken language of the surrounding community with no problem.
    Citation? I think it would be hard to find rigorous studies on families where all adult members of the household are deaf, because how many are there?

Reliable numbers of deaf signers in the U.S. are hard to come by, but estimates are around .5 million. Most of them marry other fluent signers. And ninety percent of their children have normal hearing. So how many CODAs (children of deaf adults) are there? Probably millions.

Some do need a bit of speech therapy, if they don't have much interaction with the hearing community in their early years, but they catch up quickly when they hit school age. But most pick up speech very early from hearing relatives, friends, babysitters, neighbors, etc., in the same way that immigrant children pick up English even if their parents don't speak it.

Sorry I don't have a citation, but citing this is a bit like providing a citation that Muslim-Americans exist. (Actually a very apt comparison, since there's a similar lack of hard data, but nobody doubts that a substantial population exists.) A bit of googling will back up my claims.

Here's a good intro to just how normal (and fluently bilingual) CODAs are: CODA Brothers

If there's a deaf adult and a hearing adult in the family, and the hearing adult insists that the child must speak, then the child will develop speech. That's why my question was limited to households where all adults are deaf, because that's the nearest analog to what we're talking about here.

I'm not sure how you get "millions" of CODAs from half a million deaf signers. The math doesn't work. They'd have to marry and proliferate at a significantly higher rate than the hearing population.

We have a large body of hard data on the existence of Muslim-Americans, via the US Census.

If there's a deaf adult and a hearing adult in the family, and the hearing adult insists that the child must speak, then the child will develop speech. That's why my question was limited to households where all adults are deaf, because that's the nearest analog to what we're talking about here.

Again, I'm not really following you. The OP was about a hearing household where the child is getting a ton of incidental exposure to speech. Furthermore, most deaf signers DO marry other deaf signers. Those that don't, tend to marry hearing fluent signers (for example, CODAs), and most of the communication in the household is still in ASL. In fact the hearing parent often makes a deliberate effort to only sign with the hearing child(ren), because otherwise they (the children) will push things towards spoken communication and lose their fluency in ASL (the same thing that tends to happen to immigrant children).

The ONLY thing I'm trying to address here is your claim that children won't acquire a language unless they're forced to "work" at it. This is counter to everything we know about language acquisition.

I'm not sure how you get "millions" of CODAs from half a million deaf signers.
    You're right, I was doing hasty math (getting contaminated by other stats floating around in my brain that aren't relevant here). Let's revise that to ~.5 million CODAs, roughly replacement rate. I don't believe this changes anything about my point.

We have a large body of hard data on the existence of Muslim-Americans, via the US Census.
    Untrue. Google it.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    Before hearing aids, cochlear implants, etc., the average person who was born completely deaf only reached a third grade reading level. That is because you need to exercise and develop the auditory part of the brain
    I actually need to step in here with a slight correction. The 3rd-grade reading level thing is due to language deprivation in childhood, not auditory deprivation. It was the result of a century of oral-only dogma in deaf schools. The deaf kids who have the HIGHEST English reading and writing skills (often college-level or higher) are . . . deaf children of deaf signing parents. The kids who get full exposure to a natural language from birth.

Originally Posted by jack'smom
    I would never sit on speech delay.
    I agree. Language acquisition is too important, and it has a window.

Last edited by MegMeg; 09/28/12 02:38 PM.
    Again, I'm not really following you. The OP was about a hearing household where the child is getting a ton of incidental exposure to speech. Furthermore, most deaf signers DO marry other deaf signers. Those that don't, tend to marry hearing fluent signers (for example, CODAs), and most of the communication in the household is still in ASL. In fact the hearing parent often makes a deliberate effort to only sign with the hearing child(ren), because otherwise they (the children) will push things towards spoken communication and lose their fluency in ASL (the same thing that tends to happen to immigrant children).

The ONLY thing I'm trying to address here is your claim that children won't acquire a language unless they're forced to "work" at it. This is counter to everything we know about language acquisition.

All of this is argument by assertion.

Originally Posted by MegMeg[quote=Dude
    Untrue. Google it. [/quote]

Okay.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0075.pdf

Technically not of US Census origin, but they're providing it, and it still qualifies as a large body of hard data. 200,000+ interviews is pretty solid.

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Even though this thread went kind of off-track, I'm going to keep it updated (if only for the fact that lurkers will probably search and find it if they need it.)

DD qualified for speech therapy with the early intervention program. Right after we went to the appt, we went and got her tongue tie and lip tie clipped and she now has much better mobility with her tongue. The posterior tongue tie apparently caused an underbite. She's still not talking very much, but it's only been a week, so we'll see.

E
    E
    Yay for progress!

I
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by MotherofToddler
    Who identified the tongue tie and lip tie? Early Intervention?

A friend on fb feed posted pics of her daughter's lip tie a few months ago and I began researching and discovered DD had lip tie and posterior tongue tie. I was lucky to have a local dentist who regularly sees them and fixes them with a laser, so we took her to him. He was able to diagnose officially and fix them both.

She's actually trying to copy more of our words this week, so we'll see where it goes from here.

ETA 2014 - if anyone finds this thread with the same questions wink -- she had a speech therapist after this, but she didn't need it. As soon as we fixed the lip and tongue ties she started talking. She's talking in very long sentences / paragraphs now at 3.5.

Last edited by islandofapples; 06/09/14 02:36 PM.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM