Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 423 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I've been asked to submit an application to speak at a local TEDx Education event (due in a week & likely won't get selected but applying anyway). The topic would be how we are losing some of our most unconventional, brightest innovators of tomorrow by not recognizing their needs today - focusing broadly on gifted but mostly on twice exceptional.

I would love for my talk to encompass what all of us talk about here, how we think the screening processes and therapies and training of regular and special ed teachers and psychologists and ... and ... and ... - how all of these factors often fail twice exceptional kids.

Now I likely won't get selected, so this may be an exercise in just pure venting and wishful thinking, but on the off chance I am selected, what do you think should be included in the list of things that hinder growth and excellence for our kids with the way our education system works now?

D
    D
    For me, the key paradox is this. The high intelligence of 2E kids can keep their disabilities from being correctly diagnosed and worked on. And their disabilities can keep them from being recognized as gifted or included in gifted programs. Either way, they often don't get what they need.

Most of the rest follows from there, IMO.

DeeDee

D
    D
    And when twice exceptional kiddos are provided services,they often focus on the area of weakness instead of developing their strengths. This leads to more frustration, etc. Sadly, as a special ed teacher, I was never provided with any training/ education about GT characteristics or behaviors. I did not receive one course in GT until I entered a graduate program specifically in gifted education. I feel strongly that educational programs should include at least one course in recognizing gifted characteristics and behaviors, and some basic insight into twice exceptional learners.

Last edited by Denvermom; 10/24/12 08:54 PM.
    F
    F
    Agree, agree with both of the above. Identification is key but mixing remediation with strength development is next.

If I were addressing educators about my 2e son I would say:

1) No one ever laid his in school achievement testing, his in class performance and his grades side by side. If someone had, he would have been identified as needing testing for a possible LD after kindergarten rather than in 4th grade (by me!) The spiky testing profile along with his superior in class discussion ("He's so bright! You have nothing to worry about. He'll grow out of it.") and very inconsistent grades were classic for a 2e kid.

2) If a teacher really means to put his accommodations into practice EVERY day, consistently, perhaps they should be added to the daily lesson plan. That's my #1 gripe about the well-meaning, supportive teachers we have had. They just forget DS' disconnect between his great, creative contributions to class and his ability to show what he knows in writing. And I have to remind them and remind them.

"How did the test go today?"

(nervous glance, fingernail chewing)

"Not well I guess. What happened? I know you studied."

"Well, we had to write an essay question at the end and I was already behind so I didn't have time to go get my computer. And then everyone started turning their tests in so I started freaking out."

"So he didn't give you (sigh) more time? Or warn you about the writing part?"

Or the art project in history that counted as an exam grade where DS's project looked like a kindergartener did it because they had to cut out a life sized figure and color it with markers. Argh.

Then I have to do damage control because they keep "forgetting" he has LDs. 'Cause he's so darn smart in class.

Z
    Z
    I think some focus on being measured and advanced based on one's weakest abilities rather than on strengths would resonate for the TEDx crowd, particularly in ABQ. Having worked with a bunch of scientists and engineers there, I definitely saw the effects of this in a sort of mediocracy.

p.s. If you get selected, let us know. I know folks with gifted + ASD children there who might like to attend.

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 10/25/12 06:31 AM.
    A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Wonderful suggestions and input - thank you! I won't know until early November and am not holding my breath, but I'll let you all know either way.

A
    ABQMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Late last night I received notice that I had not been selected. Reason? My idea did have wide enough audience appeal and would likely be suited for a different venue.

Some days it really is tilting at windmills.

K
    K
    Sorry that you weren't chosen. I think that the problem is bigger than people realize.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years