Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 288 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    agj Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    http://www.momentumgifted.com/#!home/mainPage

A
    agj Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Parent Meeting

Monday October 22nd, 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm

Encinitas Library​

​

- Come hear about our new program for the gifted​

- See how our curriculum works!​

- Ask questions​

- Learn about flexible schooling and the school of the future!

- Scheduled to open in November

Please RSVP if you can (858) 353-7370 or jgordievsky@gmail.com

H
    H
    Oh- cool. I'm going to check out the website. We are in Vista and are trying to work with schools to figure out acceleration for our 1st grader who has been bored/ frustrated with school. Just did private testing to help understand his advanced abilities and hopefully advocate better. We are looking for options- especially because he talks about feeling out of place. A learning environment with a faster pace might be a good fit.

S
    S
    We weren't able to attend this info meeting. Is there a way to get any info other than what is on site?

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    I'd show up with just one question:

"How does your program differ from all of the other gifted programs out there that consistently disappoint and confound gifted children who only want to learn something new each day?"

H
    H
    Originally Posted by Dude
    "How does your program differ from all of the other gifted programs out there that consistently disappoint and confound gifted children who only want to learn something new each day?"

A school willing to give it a shot is refreshing- I didn't make it to the meeting and it sounds like the school will be in Encinitas which is a long drive. My DS is in 1st grade and cries about school- he is confounded. We talked about finding a classroom/school where he would be able to move at a faster pace, with other gifted children. So far, the only shot is 30 miles away and a whopping 15 grand a year. When we told him that it would be too far and too expensive (we should save the $ for college) he broke into tears and said, "What if I help pay?" He had just saved up recycle money to buy a microscope. Broke my heart!

Working with public schools in the area is slow and frustrating. Especially when there aren't even gifted programs in the local elementary schools.

M
    M
    This program is a bit far away from us too, as I'm hoping not to have to spend our lives on the highway. Has anyone had any luck with schools in San Diego?

S
    S
    We tried one private school and it just wasn't a good fit for our family. (Neither was the 250 miles a week plus traffic). Currently we are schooling at home using a new charter using K12. It's not ideal but clears up our public school dilemma of boredom since we can finish up our work for the day at our own pace and explore his interests as well.
    Encinitas is a little too far for us as well which is why we didn't go with another hybrid in Solana Beach even after DS spent a day there. Both of these hybrids start at 8am it seems and that's too early to be coming from our area. (We live south of the 52 off the 5)

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    M
    M
    Thanks SDMom! Have you come across this place? http://rva.us.com/ It's in Scripps Ranch. I've emailed the director but haven't visited. However, it has private school fees. We're in the College area and I note that a new Waldorf-inspired charter school has opened in the area called NUA Sparrow (http://nuasparrow.org/). I intend to check it out over the next few months (but I've also heard mixed reviews on Waldorf and giftedness). My son is almost 4, with a late birthday, so we still have 2 more years before he officially enters school.

S
    S
    We practically live at that library but didn't know about this; private school is pretty much impossible anyway but I'd still like to know about it. Is it just secondary?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM