Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 421 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    MegMeg Offline OP
    OP Offline

A
    A
    I think I need a few more cups of coffee before I comment on that piece. Wow.

The author seems to have prepped her daughter specifically for the test ("Working memory index was our specialty"). I also don't generally like phrasings such as "recommending... for gifted", "getting into gifted", etc. It's gifted programs that one should seek access to, when appropriate. A sad story.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    The author is obsessed with her 1090 (out of 1600) SAT score but is unaware of its implications. If she is only slightly above average in intelligence, as evidenced by her SAT scores, why should she expect her daughter to be gifted? She should have read a book such as The Bell Curve.

The author of "My Miserable, Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy" may have other problems.

In my school districts, gifted apparently means that you aren't with the social deviants.

So, no entry into the gifted program and it's off to private school you go.

Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The author is obsessed with her 1090 (out of 1600) SAT score but is unaware of its implications. If she is only slightly above average in intelligence, as evidenced by her SAT scores, why should she expect her daughter to be gifted? She should have read a book such as The Bell Curve.

The author of "My Miserable, Lonely, Lesbian Pregnancy" may have other problems.

Intelligence (whatever it is) does have some environmental components.

D
    D
    Truly dreadful. I feel badly for that little girl.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Thanks for posting this. Makes me wonder how many parents feel this way, and what we can do to help them.

Let me answer, at the cost of perhaps making myself look foolish.

When my middle son had his IQ tested by the school (because of a minor speech impediment which has now cleared up), he scored in the 110s. When I saw the score I was saddened, telling my wife that this is not the type of IQ that typically gets someone into college X. She reasonably replied that it was too early to make such forecasts -- he was 6. I don't have reason to think his score was underestimated, and it is an above-average score, just not gifted (usually defined as 130+). He is not as smart as his older brother, nor is he as bookish. He will read for say an hour a day, if encouraged, while his older brother is a bookworm. He is doing fine in school. There is no gifted program for me to worry about his getting into, but I do think about to boost him academically. I wonder, for example, if he is the kind of kid, bright but not gifted, who can benefit from going to a private school?

U
    U
    Thanks Mom, for giving me a highly Google-able name, and assuring that the first hit for some time will be about my average IQ.

K
    K
    Wrong in so many ways. Someone should start a fund for Tashi to help pay for counseling when she is older.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM