Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    The higher the threshold you set for a gifted program, the more the identified children may need a different educational program, but the fewer the parents there are to support such a program. Therefore a relatively broad definition of giftedness may be politically inevitable if a gifted program is to survive.

Understood-- though in one of the top 20 largest districts in the nation, that shouldn't be so much of an issue. And from a simply financial perspective, I undertsand why they do things the way they do. Simply put, a tiered program, or one with a raised bar, would cause them problems. They couldn't use it as a Good Mommy Reward for the largely-affluent, PTA-supporting families; not to mention that it would create more work and more accountability. And for what? The gifted program as it is already fills magnet programs which skew the standardized test statistics the way the board needs them to be skewed. Not to mention that that top group tends to be higher maintenance than those kids who are brighter-than-average-but-test-well. From a purely crass and political POV, there's much to be lost and little to be gained in trying to better meet the needs of exceptionally and profoundly gifted kids. It's simply more expedient to throw them under the bus.

I completely understand why they do it. I don't much like it, but I get it.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    When I read the article it brought me back to HS 1980 and an SAT score of 990, I took the test a 2nd time and scored 970, so much for the SAT. I was middle of my class 63 of 121 with a 2.61 GPA. I only remember this because I recently found my HS transcript. The funny thing is everybody thought of me as smart, I thought of me as smart (still do sometimes). It was unfortunate that the lady in the article identified herself by the score, and or the label. Maybe because of my age or life experiences I have learned that I choose my own labels, not a score on a test. It’s my choices that define me, not the labels others give me. It’s unfortunate that societal labels such as gifted carry with them so much emotional content. How easy it is for us to say my child is not the best athlete, or even athletically gifted. But when it comes to IQ (By whatever means you test) it is much more important. Most studies show it is the better emotionally we are able to deal with adversity, and the better work ethic we have the better off we tend to be. Many based upon poor anecdotal experiences believe that gifted means successful, and by that not gifted means failure. In looking back at my history, any failures I have had are usually due to lack of effort, lack of desire, fear, or bad choices. I have never been held back because of IQ. Yes if you are smart, (a quick learner) there are some advantages, as well as costs. I do not condemn the lady in the article; it’s hard not to project our fears and perceived inadequacies on our children. DS10 at 6 was going to be a world champion chess player. I had it all worked out for him, until he decided he didn’t want to play anymore. He chose not to because of the effort needed to be great at chess was much more than the fun in just playing. Lucky for us I saw that chess was not his passion. He is now starting the Baritone Sax (Maybe a world class musician?) No this time, I let him pick the level of commitment. I have no college degree, and yes he will have one (No choice for him on this one), but he will be able to pick the school (I hope Cal Tech, my dream school) and pick his own major. We all live a little vicariously through our children, and we all hope they will do better than we did, and make better choices in their lives. I agree that there is a big difference between pushing for ourselves and pushing for them, but as the writer indicated our pasts are big influences on our choices for our children. The best we can do is recognizing it and adjust as best we can. (Note you can probably tell the verbal part of the SAT was my lowest). I only hope that as a parent, I can give my child a good foundation to build upon, to be a good person, with the strength and courage to overcome life’s adversities. I want him to identify himself as he chooses, not with the label of Gifted, HG, or PG.

Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Here's where I think the writer does not get a pass: She coached her kid intensively for an IQ test. She gamed the system. But this is not one of the things that gets a self-mocking "How stupid am I?" from the writer. It's pretty clear at the end of the article that she feels relieved and vindicated that her kid is labeled "gifted," and that she believes the tester who tells her that her kid is very smart.

Absolutely no self-insight here, which is supposed to be one of the hallmarks of this genre of breezy writing.

I finally got around to reading the article last night (damn you, corporate firewalls!!!), and I do not share this interpretation. The problem that jumped out at me was how she was overly identified with her daughter, to the point where she was describing her with the royal "we." At the end of the article, she acknowledges that her daughter is a separate person with her own identity. It would seem that she saw the same problem I did.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Edwin
    No this time, I let him pick the level of commitment. I have no college degree, and yes he will have one (No choice for him on this one), but he will be able to pick the school (I hope Cal Tech, my dream school) and pick his own major.

You cannot force someone to go to college, and even if you could, you could not force him to study once he was there.

Force no, encourge strongly yes.

For thouse of you who say, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. If you hold his head down long enough he will drink. Just Kidding.

Bostonian, of course you cannot force someone to go to college or to study. But having an expectation of your child is a good thing. I expect good behavior, I expect politness, and I expect him to go to college and get a degree. These are not bad expectations. I as a parent must help my child set his expectations. Not having a standard of expectations would be bad. I fear to many parents (Myself included) do not set the standards of expections. Homework before video games, i.e. delayed gratification. Allowing failure is also a good thing, kind of like a disney movie I saw once. Why do we get knoked down, so we can learn to get back up. Just my 2 cents.

E
    E
    Force no, encourge strongly yes.

For thouse of you who say, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. If you hold his head down long enough he will drink. Just Kidding.

Bostonian, of course you cannot force someone to go to college or to study. But having an expectation of your child is a good thing. I expect good behavior, I expect politness, and I expect him to go to college and get a degree. These are not bad expectations. I as a parent must help my child set his expectations. Not having a standard of expectations would be bad. I fear to many parents (Myself included) do not set the standards of expections. Homework before video games, i.e. delayed gratification. Allowing failure is also a good thing, kind of like a disney movie I saw once. Why do we get knoked down, so we can learn to get back up. Just my 2 cents.

Sure. Expectations are grand. But see, the thing is, if you raise a child to be a strong, intelligent, independently thinking young man or woman, there's an inherent danger-- it may work. And strong, intelligent, independently-thinking young adults have this crazy habit of...oh, I dunno, let's call it "independent thinking". Wherein they are just as likely to decide not to go to the Ivy school, but instead join the military/take up residence in a commune/start a rock band/embrace the life of a cloistered nun/become a welder or textile artist.
    Never mind how I know this. grin

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."

I went to college because I was supposed to go to college.

I don't think I realized that I could have chosen something different because I was still (generally) executing the instructions from my parents, in part knowing how horrible I thought any form of adolescent rebellion was.

Of course, once my mother died and my father had a stroke, I was kind of left without instructions.

and I expect him to go to college and get a degree. These are not bad expectations.

One problem with college is that it completely shatters your sense of self, destroys your self-confidence, and obliterates all of your social support.

I truly hated that period of my life.

Jonlaw, sorry to hear about your parents and your college experance.

Eldertree, As a parent I would be supportive, but probably I would show it after the choice not before. Just playing the numbers, and its hard to say where things will go in 6 to 10 years.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by JonLaw
    One problem with college is that it completely shatters your sense of self, destroys your self-confidence, and obliterates all of your social support.

You're speaking too generally. Many people don't feel that way about college. I didn't. My husband didn't. My father, sister, and cousins didn't. Lots of my friends didn't. Etc.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM