Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14
    Q
    Q
    Exactly. About a decade ago, when my older DS got problems like these in first and second grade, I was surprised. Back then, there wasn't a name so I refer to them as kiddie algebra problems for lack of a better name. These days, my district has math units specifically labelled "elementary algebra" covering these easy as well as more difficult algebra-like problems as you proceed through the elementary math curriculum. These days, I am also seeing a significant extension of the coverage of geometry topics in elementary math curriculums.

Q
    Q
    Interesting. Our district does not use either of those textbooks. I do recall that Algebra II for older DS did review those toopics, but it also proceeded to more complex topics as well.

I just had to use algebra to solve a blood transfusion problem for some lab for some friend of my wife.

Apparently, I'm a general purpose help desk.

Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by Dude
    So, in this specific example, 40m + 30 = 15m + 200, solve for m. That looks like Algebra I to me.

This is early pre-algebra in our school district.

polarbear

Maybe once the expression is written on paper, it's a simple Pre-Algebra problem. The process that came before it, of arriving at an expression where two linear equations intersect, was Algebra I in my district.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Well, it said "for a year."

Indeed. And this is exactly why performing simple arithmetic is a poor substitute for Algebra. You can tap out the solution for one year on your calculator, but then you have to keep running other scenarios through it in order to gain a half-useful understanding.

How much for the first year? *tap* *tap* *tap*

But we're planning on leaving in April... *tap* *tap* *tap*

Grr... I hate math.

What if we end up being delayed a couple months? *tap* *tap* *tap*

Or, you can just write out one expression, and instantly have a full conceptual understanding of how the two solutions relate. As I said, it's not the best question.

And of course, these problems are never this simple, because we haven't even looked at annual contracts, relocation costs, or equipment rent.

This scenario illustrates why so many people fail at family finances. You need Algebra to do it right.

R
    R
    Our state has gone to Common Core so there is no more "algebra" class. Here is the content our state (NC) is using for High School Math 1:

Chapter 1: Solving Linear Equations
    Chapter 2: Graphing and Writing Linear Equations
    Chapter 3: Solving Linear Inequalities
    Chapter 4: Solving Systems of Linear Equations
    Chapter 5: Linear Functions
    Chapter 6: Exponential Equations and Functions
    Chapter 7: Polynomial Equations and Factoring
    Chapter 8: Graphing Quadratic Functions
    Chapter 9: Solving Quadratic Equations
    Chapter 10: Square Root Functions and Geometry
    Chapter 11: Rational Equations and Functions
    Chapter 12: Data Analysis and Displays

As you can see the algebra is a tad lighter than most of us are used to in Algebra 1, more geometry is mixed in, and there's a bit on Data Analysis. Next year, there will be no more "geometry" class as we knew it -- that will also be a Common Core class (HS Math 2) and it will continue the algebra/geometry/and other stuff mix. This will continue through HS Math 3, after which point, the students will be set free to take more traditional higher level math classes and the Common Core requirements will have been fulfilled. That is the way our state is doing it. I am not sure whether all states are splitting the HS Common Core standards into 3 years, but my guess is most are. These classes replace algebra 1, geometry, algebra 2.

Remalew,

What is after HS Math 3 - Calc?

I'd guess pre-calc or Trig, depending on one's location.

That sequence is also intended to lead non-calc students to business math/econ and to stats.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    R
    R
    Officially, our state says a "higher level math class to be aligned with student's post HS plans."

I've seen some graduation requirement lists that say pre-calc, some that say calc, some that say you can even take discrete math. Have to take 4 maths in HS though if you're in any of the college prep paths. I think it varies by county what they will allow for the 4th math and by school as to what is available.

Many kids start taking HS math 1 in middle school- crucial to do if you want to get to any AP math.

It will be interesting to see how other common core states deal with this.

R
    R
    Not sure what happens to Trig. I suspect it's included in the 3rd Common Core HS math. I haven't looked at the standards beyond the first math yet (our state hadn't had them published last I checked, but I'm sure they are now as they start going live with those next year).

Page 13 of 14 1 2 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM