Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 304 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    JonLaw...

I do think an apologetic letter might be jazzed up with a nice P.S. "I might sue you." I think it would the most effective if written with impossibly small font at the bottom of the letter - that way, when they don't comply, it'll be like, "Surprise!".

Everybody loves surprises.

I have seen a lot of good advice in this thread.

With regard to threats of suit, a soft touch might be the best approach. In some situations a postscript might not be soft enough. Like it or not, sometimes people do get defensive. Lots of people who would otherwise settle shut down when openly threatened.

So much so, in fact, that it might be best to disguise a legal threat in a way that only dawned on the target after reflection. Unsettling dreams might reveal litigatory acrostics to sweat-soaked school admins, who would suddenly cave to all demands in the knowledge that their petty bureaucratic pretensions were outmatched by truly Machiavellian guile. Even slightly awkward wordings or phrasings might serve a useful purpose, in tipping off the reader that there was more than met the eye.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick

That might work if you point them to a YouTube video with subliminal messaging.

Dancing ponies, fluffy clouds, happy children, and the words "I will sue you!" flashing every tenth of a second.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    I'm in...but I'd like to add the phrase, "dance like a chicken when the school bell rings"...you know, to help the kids.

E
    OP Offline
    E
    Update...

Sent a clearer version to teacher and received a very kind email back asking for feedback on the supplemental work she sent home. Yay...a dialogue!

The work is way too easy, so that opened up the door to discuss this without complaining. She also asked what math would be helpful for him, so I was able to let her know where ds is (waaaaaay past tally marks, counting, number lines, and basic addition).

Hope this is progress. I'd like to think it is - she had not yet asked for any feedback previously.

Last edited by Evemomma; 10/17/12 08:47 AM.
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    Update...

Sent a clearer version to teacher and received a very kind email back asking for feedback on the supplemental work she sent home. Yay...a dialogue!

The work is way too easy, so that opened up the door to discuss this without complaining. She also asked what math would be helpful for him, so I was able to let her know where Sam is (waaaaaay past tally marks, counting, number lines, and basic addition).

Hope this is progress. I'd like to think it is - she had not yet asked for any feedback previously.

Excellent news!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...