Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 127 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    L
    lulu1 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    L
    My son is 9 and was referred to the district highly gifted program. The school psychologist administered the WISC-IV. The scores are as follows:
    Verbal comprehension 95 percentile
    Perceptual reasoning 92 percentile
    General ability index 96 percentile

These scores were not enough for the highly gifted program:(
    I was under the impression that this test would give me a measure of his IQ, an actual number. He is bored at school, and I was hoping this program would challenge him more. Not sure what to do since he is ineligible.

Sorry to hear that your son didn't get into the program you thought was the best place for him. The scores are still very high and that's a good thing.

The test did give an IQ score, but the report that was given to you was listed in percentiles. Converting the GAI score to a IQ style number involves math - check this table:

http://www.medfriendly.com/standardscoretopercentileconversion.html

To get a FSIQ (Full Scale IQ) they would have had to give other parts of the test, that measure Working Memory and Processing speed. So what you have is a part of an IQ measurement. The part you have is the most important to actual intellectual strength.

It's possible that your child has a much higher Working Memory and Processing Speed - in which case your child would be great at everything as far as early leaning goes, but at risk to be one of those stories you hear about early promise that never pans out. Some people, for example, are better suited to being a medial doctor, instead of a Theoretical Physicist. Is that a better life or a worse life? To me, if the life fits the kid, and uses their strengths, it's good. So it is possible to gifted, and Highly Precocious, without being High Gifted. If possible, continue the discussion with the local Gifted Coordinator and see if you can sit in on highly gifted classes to get a sense of if you child fits there.

Or the test could be just plain wrong - it happens. Some kids fit the gifted program and never score the qualifying scores. The tests only claim to be 'usually right' and not perfect.

As far as what to do instead, the first thing to do is to post or journal about what were the concerns that you saw in the first place that lead to the testing. What to do depends on what the problem is.

How are things going for your son? Is he enjoying school academically, friendships? extracurriculars?

You also need to know what is available locally - is there a program for gifted kids? Does he make the local cut off for that? What about a subject acceleration in a subject to give him a taste of challenge?

If things just aren't adding up, you might want to make an appointment with a Psychologist for private testing. It would be good on one hand, to work with a Psychologist who is respected by your district and familiar with the highly gifted program.

Best Wishes, and let us know how things go, ok?
    Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    V
    V
    Does the school district have an appeals process?

Sometimes, a parent can provide additional tests that show aptitude ACT, SAT etc.,or grade equivalencies.

I would get an independent psychologist's opinion on the school's methodology because a bored child can lead to academic problems (in my opinion).

VirginiaS

F
    F
    I am a big advocate for finding the right tester. My kiddo did not make the gifted program until we found the right tester and the right test. Then she scored into the HG program. I thought ahhh I paid them so they gave me what I was looking for. I also told them that. They suggested she take the SAT. I did not know you could do that. Well her SAT scores supported the higher scores... Also the SAT scores spoke much louder than the IQ scores to many of the teachers. It was a long process for me. Trust yourself...you do know your kid.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)